Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists? 50 Years LaterJuly 10, 2021
The well-known essay Why have there been no great women artists by Linda Nochlin was originally published in ARTnews in January 1971. It is an essay on proto-feminist art theory. Nochlin wrote it during the onset of the...
On the Tracks of the Gunter Demnig’s Stumbling StonesJuly 9, 2021
“There must be a Jew buried here” – this was a phrase commonly uttered by some Germans before World War II, when they stumbled over a stone in the German capital. It speaks volumes about the Anti-Semitism of...
Georgia O’Keeffe in Hawaii – Her 1939 Voyage for Pineapples and Artistic FreedomJuly 8, 2021
Georgia O’Keeffe traveled to Hawaii for three months in 1939, leaving on January 30 and returning in April. She was not on vacation, even though she may as well have been. She had been commissioned by the Dole...
Imitation or Interpretation? See How Tróndur Patursson Interprets Nature in His WorksJuly 7, 2021
When living in the Faroe Islands, it is impossible not to be inspired by its beautiful nature. A local to the islands, the artist Tróndur Patursson centers all his work around this unspoiled nature without directly imitating it....
Behold Dibutades, the Greek Inventress of Painting!July 6, 2021
Long ago in the city of Corinth in Ancient Greece, a young maid traced the contour of her lover’s face on the wall. The man was leaving on a long trip. So, she figured out a way to...
Happy Fourth! American Female Artists from the NMWAJuly 3, 2021
In honor of July Fourth (Independence Day), celebrate ten spectacular American women artists. Today’s selection comes courtesy of the National Museum of Women in the Arts (NMWA), a Washington D.C. museum dedicated to great female artists from all...
Pride Month: Andy Warhol’s Ladies and GentlemenJune 27, 2021
The club “The Gilded Grape”, situated in the no man’s land of Eighth Avenue and West 45th Street in New York City, was a hub of drag queens and black and Hispanic transvestites. In 1975, Bob Colacello, future...
- Art from Horror Movies: Japanese Woodblocks of Tsukioka Yoshitoshi
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- Eyewitness to Space: The NASA Art Program
- 5 Best DailyArt Magazine Articles As Selected By Our Readers
- Cheer Me Up! 10 Funniest DailyArt Magazine Articles Ever
- Diego Rivera’s Life in Self-Portraits
- Painting Of The Week – John Everett Millais, Ophelia
- Everything You Should Know About Islamic Art
- History of Medicine in Art. Collection of Artworks at Wellcome Library in London
- Masterpiece of the Week: Mithras Slaying the Bull