Book Review: Sofonisba, Portraits of the SoulJanuary 15, 2020
Sofonisba, Portraits of the soul is a book by Chiara Montani about the life and work of the Italian artist Sofonisba Anguissola. Sofonisba was an artist during the Renaissance in Italy and Spain. She was the first woman...
Painting of the Week: John Singer Sargent, Madame XJanuary 12, 2020
Happy Birthday, John Singer Sargent! If you were alive, you would be 164 years old! The world has changed substantially since 12 January 1856, however your legacy has stood enduringly. You are still considered the leading portrait painter...
Painting of the Week: Arthur Hughes, April LoveJanuary 5, 2020
Today’s Painting of the Week is April Love, 1855-1856, Arthur Hughes’ most celebrated artwork that embodies Pre-Raphaelites’ soul. Hughes and Pre-Raphaelites We consider April Love, made by Arthur Hughes (1832-1915) a Pre-Raphaelite painting. Though, the artist never actually...
Welcoming the Twenties with Tamara de LempickaDecember 31, 2019
Today I am taking you to a New Year’s Eve party. This year, like every year, we hope that the year coming will be better. But hearing that the twenties are coming somehow the picture of the 1920s...
The Joy of Lucian Freud. The Self-portraitsDecember 27, 2019
Lucian Freud (1922-2011) is regarded as the pre-eminent British figurative painter of the last sixty years. Francis Bacon, two decades older, and David Hockney, a decade younger, are his main rivals. For years I hated Freud’s paintings of...
Romeo and Juliet of the East: Laila and MajnunDecember 18, 2019
Laila and Qays are the Romeo and Juliet of the East. The tragic tale of these ill-fated lovers has been widely featured in Asian and Middle Eastern folklore. The story of their unconsummated love has been told many...
Dan Flavin: Art is Thought and Fluorescent LightsDecember 17, 2019
Dan Flavin (1993-1996) was an American artist and pioneer of Minimalism. He is famous for making sculptural objects and installations from fluorescent lights. “I like art as thought better than art as work… It’s important to me that...
- How Many Paintings From Louvre Shown On This Video Can You Recognize?
- Everything You Should Know About Orientalism
- Top 7 Summer Destinations (From Art)
- Welcome to the Wonderful Circus of Dame Laura Knight!
- ALL Louvre Masterpieces From Beyonce & Jay-Z’s ‘APES**T’ Video Explained
- Representation vs Reality: Artists Portrayed in Midnight in Paris. Part I
- Abstraction In Creation – Watch Gerhard Richter At Work
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Pablo Picasso And His Women
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)