The Marriage of the Virgin: A Comparison Between Raphael and PeruginoApril 29, 2021
We remember Raphael for his art’s grace, balance, and harmony, which made him one of the great masters of the High Renaissance. His work gave him everlasting fame and the title of divino pittore (divine painter), but Raphael...
Zinaida Serebriakova, First Famous Female Russian ArtistApril 29, 2021
Zinaida Serebriakova (1884–1967) is mostly known for her painting At the Dressing-Table (Self-Portrait). The artist, looking from the mirror’s reflection, smiles at us in many Souvenir shops. But Serebriakova was not just the author of one picture, and...
Barnett Newman, A Pillar of Abstract ExpressionismApril 28, 2021
When one thinks of Abstract Expressionism, the name of Barnett Newman pops up immediately. That is only fair since he is a pillar of the movement and his contribution to contemporary art is huge. Newman was a very...
Art from Horror Movies: Japanese Woodblocks of Tsukioka YoshitoshiApril 28, 2021
For centuries gore has been part of the culture in Japan, rooted in its history. Its representation is very common in woodblock engraving pictures. Muzan-e, the ‘bloody prints’, is genre par excellence. This kind of art may be...
Janet Sobel: the Forgotten Female Artist Who Influenced Jackson PollockApril 27, 2021
Although almost entirely erased from the canon of Abstract Expressionist art, Janet Sobel (born Jennie Olechovsky) is now slowly gaining recognition as one of the original creators of the “drip painting” technique that many critics have previously associated...
Mela Muter – Accomplished Portraitist and Devoted MotherApril 26, 2021
Although in her day she was most famous for portraits of members of the Parisian Boheme, Mela Muter was deeply fascinated with capturing the intimacy permeating the daily lives of mothers. In fact, motherhood became the most recurring theme...
10 Things You Should Know About TitianApril 19, 2021
Titian (Tiziano Vecellio, 1490–1576) was an Italian painter active in Venice in the 16th century. He is considered the greatest painter in the Venetian art school. During his long career, he painted a variety of subjects, shaping Renaissance...
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Aubrey Beardsley: Sharp Blacks and Whites of the Victorian Era
- The Stunning Botanical Art of Barbara Regina Dietzsch
- 5 Swedish Pioneering Female Photographers You Should Get to Know
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- Wronged Royal Wives – British Scandal and Heartbreak Through the Centuries
- Janet Sobel: the Forgotten Female Artist Who Influenced Jackson Pollock
- Six Wives Of Henry VIII in Portraits
- Zdzisław Beksiński’s Passion for Music
- May the 4th Be with You—Archetypes in Star Wars and Art