Sketchbook Project Invites Worldwide ParticipationJuly 25, 2019
New York City is home to some of the most prestigious art organizations in the world. Artists work and dream for years to reach the halls of the MoMA, the Whitney, and the Met – and for countless...
Jeanne Hébuterne. Not Only a Muse but an Artist in Her Own RightJuly 12, 2019
This post is not going to be about the tragic love story between Jeanne and Amedeo Modigliani (who wants to read about it, click here). This post is going to be about Jeanne the artist. Jeanne committed suicide...
Take a Trip with Rosemary EllisJuly 11, 2019
As we head into summer holiday season, let’s take a look back at the gorgeous travel posters designed by British artist Rosemary Ellis. One of the most prominent illustrators of her age, Rosemary Ellis is not a household...
The Surrealistic World of Dora MaarJuly 9, 2019
The name Dora Maar (1907 – 1997) reminds most people of Picasso. But as well as being his muse and lover, she was also an ambitious and progressive artist. Before they had even met, she was already known...
Artemisia Gentileschi: A Changing Landscape for the Discourse of Art HistoryJuly 6, 2019
Much 16th and 17th century art focuses on mythological tropes and origin stories which are deeply embedded in misogyny and sexual violence. Gendered violence was aetheticised, rape heroised. In accordance with ‘the male gaze’, these were not paintings...
Crossing the Sword Bridge. Sir Lancelot of the Lake in Medieval ArtJuly 5, 2019
The 12th century saw the rise of secular literature centred on heroes. Courtly poetry and prose took up themes of love and chivalry. These stories were the popular culture of the time, Sir Lancelot of the Lake being...
Pride Month: Andy Warhol’s Ladies and GentlemenJune 27, 2019
The club “The Gilded Grape”, situated in the no man’s land of Eighth Avenue and West 45th Street in New York City, was a hub of drag queens and black and Hispanic transvestites. In 1975, Bob Colacello, future...
- Gustave Caillebotte’s Urban Intimacy
- Seven Haunting Town Paintings by Egon Schiele
- Just Married: Wedding Paintings Which Will Secure You A Happy Future Together
- Painting of the Week – In the Studio by William Merritt Chase
- Do You “Pronkstill”Even? Social Media Of The Dutch Golden Age
- Why Is St Sebastian A Gay Icon?
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Pornographic World of Egon Schiele’s Nudes (18+)
- Painting of the Week: Diego Velázquez, The Rokeby Venus
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know