Stories By Merve Parla
Fashion as Manifesto: Uniforms Designed for an Imaginary Space StationDecember 4, 2020
Using art as a manifesto of one’s feelings and ideas has always been common among artists and designers. Fashion designer Dilara Fındıkoğlu is no exception. For Odunpazarı Modern Museum, Fındıkoğlu designed a set of uniforms to...
Painting of the Week: James Barry, King Lear Weeping over the Dead Body of CordeliaNovember 29, 2020
King Lear by William Shakespeare is a great tragedy that centers around ideas such as loyalty, familial bonds, and remorse. The painter of this work, James Barry, was generally interested in subject matters drawn from mythological...
Art State of Mind
Celebrities That Are Little-Known for Their Painting CareersOctober 9, 2020
They say that a creative mind will have its outlet in several areas of art. This explains Leonardo da Vinci’s gift in both painting and architectural design. Also, Pablo Picasso’s genius as a painter and as...
Exploring the Boundaries of Creativity: Turning Data into ArtSeptember 20, 2020
Born and raised in Istanbul, Turkey, and now based in Los Angeles, California, media artist Refik Anadol turns data into pieces of art by using data science and artificial intelligence. He set off on his journey...
Meet the Award-winning Sculptor and Installation Artist Ayşe ErkmenSeptember 16, 2020
Berlin-based Turkish visual artist Ayşe Erkmen has been awarded the Ernst Franz Vogelmann Prize for Sculpture in 2020. As the first woman artist to receive this prize, she will have her sculptures Kuckuck (2003) and not...
- Painting of the Week: Saint George and the Dragon
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- How Did Caravaggio Die? The Answer Is Not Easy
- The Mysterious Pinturas Negras Reveal Goya’s Darkest Secrets
- Under Hokusai’s Great Wave
- Did You Know that Monet Was a Master of Caricatures?
- Wanderlust Exhibition – Travel Desire Encapsulated in Paintings
- Roman Holidays: Italian Landscapes Through the Eyes of Russian Artists
- #MeToo and the Medusa Myth
- Maxfield Parrish – Life and Legacy