Stories By Urvi Chheda
Painting of the Week: Kikukawa Eizan, The Courtesan Hinaaya of the Chōji HouseMay 24, 2020
Vincent and Theo van Gogh, the close-knit brothers, extensively collected Japanese Ukiyo-e prints. Van Gogh had already bought a few in Antwerp before arriving in Paris. However, by the mid 19th century, Paris had already been...
Chitra Ganesh Visualizes Sultana’s Dream by Begum RokeyaMay 22, 2020
Chitra Ganesh’s Sultana’s Dream exhibition at the Memorial Art Gallery (MAG), University of Rochester, attributes a few pivotal reasonings to artworks, which carry the weight of idealism and redemption. The radical artist has exhibited 27 linocuts,...
Company School – Transition to Indian Modern ArtNovember 7, 2019
Painting in rich Mughal and Rajput styles, the court painters shifted their renderings to the demanded adjustments of British East India Company thereby having projected a palpable change in the map of Indian art. The shift...
Five Indian Modern SculptorsSeptember 7, 2019
Modernism in India did straddle, sneaking lopsided avenue from the ancient to the present. The post-colonial art is typically mentioned as Modern art because many Indian artists had begun their sojourn of westernised abstract expressionism. India...
Stunning Abstracts by Seven Indian Modern PaintersAugust 2, 2019
It was the early 20th century when Modernism spread its wings in India owing to the introduction-exposure through various European artists. The exchange had already inspired the artists to experiment and delve deeper into their conscience...
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know About Primavera by Botticelli
- Ardhanarishvara – Androgynous Portrayal of Shiva and Parvati
- The Dystopian Surrealism of Zdzislaw Beksinski
- Lesbian Love and Sex in Art History
- 10 Cocktails Inspired by Art for Artsy Drinking
- See a Man About a Dog: Dogs in Paintings
- Dachshunds in Art
- Coffee, Tea, Beer… Drinks in Art for All Tastes!
- The Feminist Artists Whose Work Changed the World
- Painting of the Week: Hendrik Heerschop, The African King Caspar