Stories By Europeana
Art State of Mind
School and Learning in the Eyes of ArtistsSeptember 2, 2020
This year changed a lot about the way children and students attend school. While some students around the world will go back to school this September, many will continue taking classes online. Art is a great...
5 Self-Portraits by Women Artists that You Probably Haven’t Seen (And You Should)August 13, 2020
When thinking of ‘a self-portrait’, the famous names and artworks of Dürer, Rembrandt, or Van Gogh probably come to your mind. Here’s your chance to discover five self-portraits you probably haven’t seen before. And you should – they’re created...
The Countryside in Art: from Idyllic Scenes to Social IssuesOctober 11, 2019
Pure life in harmony with nature or hardship and poverty? Let’s take a look at various representations of the countryside in art. A Peaceful Bucolic Life Karel Dujardin was a Dutch Golden Age painter specialized in...
Art State of Mind
A Glimpse of Maritime Life in the Past in 7 ArtworksOctober 4, 2019
Sea, harbours, weather, ships, sailors, fishermen, merchants – maritime life is rich and fascinating. Let’s see a few great depictions of its different aspects. Harbour – A Place of Exchange Harbours are places of action, movement...
Art State of Mind
From Spindle and Distaff to Mass Production: Spinning in ArtSeptember 27, 2019
There are multiple artistic representations of women spinning – created across time and in various places. Let’s take some of the great depictions for a spin (pun intended!) and learn more about this activity. Spinning as...
Artists and Industrial Revolution: Images of the Changing WorldSeptember 20, 2019
The Industrial Revolution brought fundamental and irreversible social changes. But what was its influence on art and artists? Changing Times, Changing Themes Even though depictions of rural labor remained frequent, industry, as an important part of...
Hanna Hirsch-Pauli: Friendship Goals and Feminism in 19th Century StockholmMarch 23, 2019
Swedish artist Hanna Hirsch-Pauli (1864-1940) is the best known for her genre scenes and portraits. She studied at the painting school of August Malmström, and the Royal Swedish Academy of Arts. Then, she moved to Paris, where she met her husband-to-be,...
Thérèse Schwartze. The Painter of the Amsterdam’s EliteMarch 16, 2019
Thérèse Schwartze (1851 – 1918) grew up in an artistic family. Her father Johann Georg Schwartze was a painter and he introduced his daughter to the profession. Apprentice of an Ambitious Father At that time, painting...
The Art of Portraying SistersMarch 9, 2019
March is Women’s History Month, a great time to celebrate sisterhood in all its meanings. It’s not surprising that many artists having sisters, painted their portraits, especially early in the career. They were probably easily available...
Special Occasion And News
GIF IT UP 2018 – create animated GIFs from public domain artworksOctober 1, 2018
GIF IT UP is an annual gif-making competition for the most creative reuse of digitised cultural heritage material. This year’s 5th edition is run by Europeana in close cooperation with Digital Public Library of America, Digital NZ and Trove. From 1 – 31 October,...
- How Art Saved His Life: Story of Horace Pippin
- Edgar Degas and New Orleans’ Paintings
- 5 Impressionist Gossips Which Will Make You Feel They Staged a Soap Opera
- The Pornographic World of Egon Schiele’s Nudes (18+)
- 15 Things You May Not Know About The Night Watch by Rembrandt
- Ancient Bikini Girls from the Roman Mosaics
- Perseus and the Head of Medusa – A Very Florentine Story
- Clark Art Institute Highlights
- The Lost Portrait of Henry VIII: Art in Service of Power
- Art History 101: Self-Portraits You Should Know
- Roll up, Roll up, for the Greatest Show on Earth! Jeanne Mount and Her Circus Mosaics
- Painting of the Week: Rachel Ruysch, Vase with Flowers
- Elena Luksch-Makowsky: From St. Petersburg, through Vienna to Hamburg
- Mirror Mosaics and Monir Shahroudy Farmanfarmaian
- The Forgotten Couturier Elsa Schiaparelli: Surrealism, Art and Revolutionary Fashion