Stories By Kelly Hill
Gerda Wegener: Art Deco FeministAugust 28, 2020
Today Gerda Wegener is best known for her lesbian and feminist art. She was also married to a trans woman, the landscape artist Lili Elbe. Their marriage was later dramatized in David Habershoff’s 2000 book The...
5 Artists Who Likely Suffered From SyphilisJuly 31, 2020
Also known as the French disease or great pox, syphilis was a common sexually transmitted disease in Europe in the 1800s. In fact, 10-15% of Europeans in the 19th century were likely infected with the bacterial...
5 Things You Need to Know About Australian ImpressionismJune 11, 2020
Australian Impressionism might not be as well known as its French counterpart, but this late 19th century art movement was important to the country. In fact, some consider these artists to be part of the first...
Anita Berber: Femme Fatale of the Weimar RepublicMay 14, 2020
Born on 10 June, 1899 in Dresden Germany, Anita Berber shocked and entertained the cabaret and bourgeois crowd of the Weimar Republic right up to her untimely death at the age of 29. Film star, nude...
Painting of the Week: Vincent van Gogh, Bridge in the Rain (after Hiroshige)May 10, 2020
In the mid 19th century, Japanese ports were suddenly opened up to international trade, and Europeans went crazy for Japanese culture and art, especially woodblock prints. A new word in French, Japonisme, was even created to describe this...
The Scandalous Nudes of Gustave CourbetMay 1, 2020
In the 19th century, French painter and rebel Gustave Courbet generated outrage with his scandalous nudes. What exactly was so scandalous about his paintings? Courbet had the audacity to paint (gasp) real women in the nude. Courbet and...
Keeping up with the Boys: Abstract Expressionist Helen FrankenthalerApril 29, 2020
It’s often the men of Abstract Expressionism who are best known: Jackson Pollock and his famous “drip” technique; Willem de Kooning’s abstract women; Mark Rothko’s colorful rectangles. Yet it’s Frankenthaler who, after seeing what Pollock was...
- Léon Spilliaert: The Longing Behind the Symbolism
- Kiyohara Yukinobu: Sublime Female Painter of the Kano School
- Stendhal Syndrome – The Art Fans Sickness
- Everything You Must Know About Suprematism and Kazimir Malevich
- DailyArt Magazine Turns Four! Our Impressions of the Impressionists
- Visit in Madrid or Online: The Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum
- The Art Of Thanksgiving By Norman Rockwell
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- The Best Autumn Foods in Still-Life Paintings
- 8 Paintings For Thanksgiving That Will Warm Your Heart