Eid Al-Adha — Seven Beautiful Mosques Around the WorldJuly 30, 2020
Eid al-Adha is observed between the 10th to the 13th days of the Islamic month of Dhu al-Hijjah. This is the Eid of the sacrifice as it commemorates Ibrahim’s sacrifice or qurbani of his own son, Ishmael to...
The Dazzling Davies Sisters and Their Impressionist ArtJuly 29, 2020
The Davies sisters grew up in a remote corner of Victorian Wales. They were religious, teetotal and never married. But these demure young women, with no previous art knowledge, managed to gather together probably the most important collection...
Monument Women: Die Prinzessinnengruppe by SchadowJuly 27, 2020
An unassuming and charming statue group, the Prinzessinnengruppe (Princess Group) 1795-1797, depicting Prussian Princesses Louise and Frederike, by Johann Gottfried Schadow is filled with a fascinating history. Marveled during its day, it was hidden away and forgotten for...
Painting of the Week: Henri Rousseau, The Football PlayersJuly 26, 2020
Welcome to the bizarre world of Henri Rousseau (1844-1910), the quintessential naïve artist, and meet his oneiric, striped football players. Four almost identical men are having a good time, probably in a park in Paris. They are wearing...
Ten Most Expensive Paintings EverJuly 25, 2020
9. $170.4 M First time at auction and already kicked the ceiling achieving the second-highest auction price for a painting at the time: $170.4 million. This beautiful nude was bought in 2015 from Laura Mattioli Rossi by Chinese...
Timeless Beauty: Ancient Greek Athletes in ArtJuly 25, 2020
The idea of timeless beauty is fascinating. Also, it’s a great concern for lovers of art history. Conceptions of beauty in Western art history have many roots in the ancient Greek athlete. This is partly due to the...
Valentine Schlegel: Sculptor of Organic AbstractionJuly 24, 2020
Sculptor, ceramist, artist, teacher. Valentine Schlegel was a headstrong individual with fervent, creative independence who carved out her own path in history. Despite these achievements, her work was kept in the dark until just a few years ago....
- The Pre-Raphaelites and the Wombat
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Giovanna Garzoni – A Baroque Painter Inspires an Art Challenge
- 5 Artists Who Likely Suffered From Syphilis
- Punk in Art: Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and Cyberpunk
- Painting of the Week: Henri Rousseau, The Football Players
- Four Women Impressionists You Shouldn’t Forget
- Timeless Beauty: Ancient Greek Athletes in Art
- The Dreamlike, Queer Femme Paintings of Marie Laurencin
- Art History Reveals: Women in Sport