Art for Climate Change: Emily Carr, Odds and EndsJanuary 29, 2020
Art has always had the power to communicate all kinds of emotions; some paintings convey a sense of peace and quiet, while others can make us feel upset or uncomfortable. The latter give us awareness about something that...
Painting of the Week: Chateau Noir by Paul CézanneJanuary 19, 2020
Today is Paul Cézanne’s birthday (he was born on January 19, 1839), so this Painting of the Week is dedicated to him. It is his landscape Chateau Noir, 1900/1904, at the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C....
Picasso Damaged at Tate ModernJanuary 10, 2020
On the 28th of December 2019, a man from the public marred the Picasso painting, Bust of a Woman. The painting is on a long-term loan from a private collector and it has since been removed from public...
January Blues. Blue in ArtJanuary 8, 2020
The January Blues, a well-known mood; festivities have come to an end and the winter is starting to feel gloomy. Therefore, to alleviate the melancholy, here is a trio of famous Blues from 20th-century art history. The Blue...
Afro-American Artists Arm in Arm: Charles White and Kerry J. MarshallJanuary 3, 2020
Last month the auction house Sotheby’s sold Kerry James Marshall’s painting Vignette 19 for $16 million. That’s a lot of money for a work by a living artist. But last year the same artist did even better. In May...
Welcoming the Twenties with Tamara de LempickaDecember 31, 2019
Today I am taking you to a New Year’s Eve party. This year, like every year, we hope that the year coming will be better. But hearing that the twenties are coming somehow the picture of the 1920s...
The Joy of Lucian Freud. The Self-portraitsDecember 27, 2019
Lucian Freud (1922-2011) is regarded as the pre-eminent British figurative painter of the last sixty years. Francis Bacon, two decades older, and David Hockney, a decade younger, are his main rivals. For years I hated Freud’s paintings of...
- The Sad Story Of Vincent Van Gogh And His Lovers
- Painting of the Week: Nicolas Maes, Young Woman Peeling Apples
- Brief Story of Claude Monet’s Garden in Giverny
- Paula Modersohn-Becker: The Unknown Expressionist
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Jan Van Eyck
- My name is Sofonisba And I’m Michelangelo’s Gal
- The Sound Of Colour: Music Inspired By Visual Art – A Top 10
- The Mystery of Vincent Van Gogh’s Death
- The Erotic Drawings of Francesco Hayez [+18]
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)