Afro-American Artists Arm in Arm: Charles White and Kerry J. MarshallJanuary 3, 2020
Last month the auction house Sotheby’s sold Kerry James Marshall’s painting Vignette 19 for $16 million. That’s a lot of money for a work by a living artist. But last year the same artist did even better. In May...
Welcoming the Twenties with Tamara de LempickaDecember 31, 2019
Today I am taking you to a New Year’s Eve party. This year, like every year, we hope that the year coming will be better. But hearing that the twenties are coming somehow the picture of the 1920s...
The Joy of Lucian Freud. The Self-portraitsDecember 27, 2019
Lucian Freud (1922-2011) is regarded as the pre-eminent British figurative painter of the last sixty years. Francis Bacon, two decades older, and David Hockney, a decade younger, are his main rivals. For years I hated Freud’s paintings of...
Max Ernst’s Collaged MemoriesDecember 20, 2019
Long time no see, it feels like home to be back at DailyArt! As Christmas approaches I finally have time to write for DailyArt Magazine again. To kick off the season of lights floating in the air with...
Dan Flavin: Art is Thought and Fluorescent LightsDecember 17, 2019
Dan Flavin (1993-1996) was an American artist and pioneer of Minimalism. He is famous for making sculptural objects and installations from fluorescent lights. “I like art as thought better than art as work… It’s important to me that...
Banishing the War: the Etchings of Otto DixDecember 10, 2019
When the First World War, also known as the Great War, broke out, everyone was thrilled. The soldiers went happily to fight for their countries. All sides thought they would be winners and were arrogant towards their opponents....
David Wojnarowicz: Love and Rage in the Time of CholeraDecember 4, 2019
Sex, spirituality, love, and loss – for the artist, writer, and activist David Wojnarowicz these were the main subjects of art which he created from the 1970s to the early 1990s when he died of AIDS. Always hard-lined,...
- Everything You Should Know About Orientalism
- How Many Paintings From Louvre Shown On This Video Can You Recognize?
- Representation vs Reality: Artists Portrayed in Midnight in Paris. Part I
- Welcome to the Wonderful Circus of Dame Laura Knight!
- ALL Louvre Masterpieces From Beyonce & Jay-Z’s ‘APES**T’ Video Explained
- The Gift of Pomona – Pears in Art
- 15 Must-See Art Exhibitions in 2020
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Dystopian Surrealism of Zdzislaw Beksinski
- Painting of the Week: John Singer Sargent, Madame X