The Innocents of Florence. A New Documentary by Davide BattistellaMay 17, 2019
A 600-year-old painting leads two art conservators in Florence on a journey that sheds light on the story of the hundreds of thousands of children who were abandoned, and the women who saved them. The Innocents of Florence, the new...
Brass Heads, Coral Beads, And Ivory: Art from the Kingdom of BeninMay 16, 2019
Today we’ll go back in time to around 1500s when the wealth of Benin kingdom (in contemporary Nigeria) was at its peak: when Europeans traded with Benin spices, palm kernels, gum, brass, ivory, shells, or arms; when art...
Ten Gorgeous French Churches (That Aren’t Notre-Dame de Paris)May 15, 2019
For the past month, everybody has been talking about Notre-Dame de Paris, which suffered a horrible fire in April. Notre-Dame is by far France’s most famous church, but it isn’t the country’s only noteworthy one. France is a...
In Silent Expectation – Another Place by Antony GormleyMay 11, 2019
Driving out of Liverpool, past run-down warehouses and dockside cranes, I wonder if I’ve taken a wrong turn. But 10 minutes later I see signs to ‘Another Place’ and pull in to a desolate, wind-whipped car park next...
A Song and a Prayer – Croatia’s Ivan MestrovicApril 23, 2019
My favorite thing about Instagram is coming across new art and artists – scrolling and finding things that excite you and catch your eye. A page I follow posted a photo of Ivan Mestrovic’s Vestalka (Vestil Virgin) and...
Notre-Dame de Paris – Its Present and FutureApril 22, 2019
After Monday’s fire at Notre-Dame de Paris, I have been looking continuously for news about the building’s status. I sorted through all the reports, both the reliable and the sensational, to come up with this summary of Notre-Dame’s...
Made for Reflection: Yayoi Kusama’s Narcissus GardenApril 17, 2019
Let’s take a look at one of the most interesting works in Yayoi Kusama’s career. Was it commercial or high art? A performance or an installation? Back in 1966, Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama (b. 1929) first exhibited one...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art