Art of the Spanish Civil War: Political Propaganda and the Modernist Avant-GardeApril 1, 2019
April 1, 1939 marked not only the end of the Spanish Civil War but also the fall of the Second Spanish Republic. The victory of General Francisco Franco’s rebel forces resulted in the overthrow of Spain’s leftist Republican...
Lee Miller – Photographing the ExtremesMarch 12, 2019
Lee Miller (1907-1977) was a model, a fashion photographer, a war photographer, a muse and a gourmet cook. She lived the life to the fullest with all its bright and many dark sides. Always striving for independence and...
Carnivalesque Man Ray and His MasksJanuary 29, 2019
Since the carnival is officially on, I thought of writing an article about masks. The first artist that comes to mind if one says ‘masks’ is James Ensor, so if you feel like reading about eerie atmosphere and...
Leonor Fini: I’m Not A Muse, I’m An ArtistJanuary 24, 2019
Leonor Fini didn’t agree with Andre Breton about the role of women in art: the father of Surrealism saw women solely as muses inspiring male genius, whereas Leonor reckoned, and proved with her art, that women can become...
Lee Miller And Surrealism In BritainAugust 7, 2018
In the delightfully quirky Hepworth Wakefield, in West Yorkshire, is a quiet exhibition that packs a whole range of mad surrealism in three galleries. What was particularly exciting about this was the fact that the lead practitioner in...
Start The Summer With Salvador DalíJune 21, 2018
Summer is officially on! If you’re still looking for a beach where to show your artsy bikini, or a Picasso-like beach body, maybe you’ll be tempted to start the summer with Salvador Dalí and his wife Gala, to...
What Was It Like In The Roaring Twenties in Art and Fashion?May 15, 2018
The Roaring Twenties were a period during which many things changed – both socially and politically. The dramatic economic growth of the decade led many Americans to adopt a totally different, more affluent lifestyle unknown to most people...
- Gustave Caillebotte’s Urban Intimacy
- Seven Haunting Town Paintings by Egon Schiele
- Just Married: Wedding Paintings Which Will Secure You A Happy Future Together
- Painting of the Week – In the Studio by William Merritt Chase
- Do You “Pronkstill”Even? Social Media Of The Dutch Golden Age
- Why Is St Sebastian A Gay Icon?
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Pornographic World of Egon Schiele’s Nudes (18+)
- Painting of the Week: Diego Velázquez, The Rokeby Venus
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know