Erna Rosenstein. Surrealist in the Country Where Surrealism Didn’t ExistMay 31, 2019
Erna was born a Jew. This fact weighed on her whole life because Erna’s family lived in Lviv, Ukraine and to complicate things even more, she turned 20 when Hitler rose to power in 1933. Ah, and on...
Life-Size Dolls, Ropes and Erotic Photography: Scandalous World of Hans BellmerApril 8, 2019
“I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me”, said Terence, Roman playwright sometime in the 2nd century BC. I think that art and what inspired what you will see below, is exactly this: human...
Art of the Spanish Civil War: Political Propaganda and the Modernist Avant-GardeApril 1, 2019
April 1, 1939 marked not only the end of the Spanish Civil War but also the fall of the Second Spanish Republic. The victory of General Francisco Franco’s rebel forces resulted in the overthrow of Spain’s leftist Republican...
Lee Miller – Photographing the ExtremesMarch 12, 2019
Lee Miller (1907-1977) was a model, a fashion photographer, a war photographer, a muse and a gourmet cook. She lived the life to the fullest with all its bright and many dark sides. Always striving for independence and...
Carnivalesque Man Ray and His MasksJanuary 29, 2019
Since the carnival is officially on, I thought of writing an article about masks. The first artist that comes to mind if one says ‘masks’ is James Ensor, so if you feel like reading about eerie atmosphere and...
Leonor Fini: I’m Not A Muse, I’m An ArtistJanuary 24, 2019
Leonor Fini didn’t agree with Andre Breton about the role of women in art: the father of Surrealism saw women solely as muses inspiring male genius, whereas Leonor reckoned, and proved with her art, that women can become...
Lee Miller And Surrealism In BritainAugust 7, 2018
In the delightfully quirky Hepworth Wakefield, in West Yorkshire, is a quiet exhibition that packs a whole range of mad surrealism in three galleries. What was particularly exciting about this was the fact that the lead practitioner in...
- Everything You Should Know About Orientalism
- How Many Paintings From Louvre Shown On This Video Can You Recognize?
- Representation vs Reality: Artists Portrayed in Midnight in Paris. Part I
- Welcome to the Wonderful Circus of Dame Laura Knight!
- ALL Louvre Masterpieces From Beyonce & Jay-Z’s ‘APES**T’ Video Explained
- The Gift of Pomona – Pears in Art
- 15 Must-See Art Exhibitions in 2020
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Dystopian Surrealism of Zdzislaw Beksinski
- Painting of the Week: John Singer Sargent, Madame X