“Angel with Attitude”. Grumpy Angel from The Hyde CollectionAugust 17, 2019
Angel is a painting by Niccolò di Ser Sozzo, c. 1350, owned by The Hyde Collection in Glens Falls, NY. This is an unusual depiction of an angel with her* arms crossed. She’s not the serene and heavenly...
The Medieval Bestiary – Cute, Quirky, and Weird AnimalsAugust 7, 2019
Of all the medieval manuscripts, bestiaries are definitely the most fun. A medieval bestiary is a book about animals. It’s full of unusual information and charming illustrations about a variety of creatures. Bestiaries were based on an early...
Crossing the Sword Bridge. Sir Lancelot of the Lake in Medieval ArtJuly 5, 2019
The 12th century saw the rise of secular literature centred on heroes. Courtly poetry and prose took up themes of love and chivalry. These stories were the popular culture of the time, Sir Lancelot of the Lake being...
The Lewis Chessmen and Their Long-Lost BrotherJune 10, 2019
The Lewis Chessmen are among the world’s most recognizable works of medieval art, right up there with the Unicorn Tapestries and the Book of Kells. Not only are reproductions of the chessmen best-selling chess sets, but they also...
Gentle Giant in the River. Medieval Representations of Saint ChristopherMay 21, 2019
In 1904, an extensive report made for the British Archaeological Association revealed that in England there were more wall paintings of Saint Christopher than of any other saint. However, this gentle giant of a man was equally popular...
Notre-Dame de Paris – Its Present and FutureApril 22, 2019
After Monday’s fire at Notre-Dame de Paris, I have been looking continuously for news about the building’s status. I sorted through all the reports, both the reliable and the sensational, to come up with this summary of Notre-Dame’s...
Viking Art: From Ships and Swords to Ornate BroochesApril 19, 2019
Vikings and their culture have filled our lives since their days of domination. There are TV shows, sports teams; Nordic culture and mythology permeate the media with superhero characters like Thor; anime series such as Attack on Titan...
- Few Comments On Courbet’s Origin of the World
- Made for Reflection: Yayoi Kusama’s Narcissus Garden
- The Dreaming Youths: A Children’s Book That Parents Would Hide From Their Kids
- 11 Things You Might Not Know About Leonardo Da Vinci
- A Glimpse of Maritime Life in the Past in 7 Artworks
- Painting of the Week: Mary Cassatt, Little Girl in a Blue Armchair
- Rembrandt’s Light—Dulwich Picture Gallery
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- An Art Advent Calendar of Nativities
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)