Knights in Shining Armour: Funerary Art of Medieval EnglandMay 15, 2021
What do Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck have in common with a tiny village in Lincolnshire and the funerary art of medieval England? Say “Disney” and you get suspiciously close to “d’Isigny”. And there it is, the connection...
Medieval Love Story: King Pedro and Inês de CastroMay 15, 2021
Every country has its legends and fairytales, and Portugal is no exception. One of the most well-known Portuguese tales is a love story about King Pedro of Portugal and Inês de Castro. Their relationship did not end as...
Ancient Treasures from the North: Viking ArtMay 14, 2021
Vikings and their culture have interested us since their days of domination. There are TV shows about them and sports teams named for them. Nordic culture and mythology permeate the media with superhero characters like Thor. Meanwhile anime...
Discovering Camelot: Arthurian Art in PolandMay 12, 2021
1887 saw a significant discovery in the field of medieval art, though at the time nobody, not even the discoverer himself, was aware of the real value of his find. He actually found Camelot, a piece of Arthurian...
These Romantic Paintings of Edward Burne-Jones Will Make You Miss the Middle AgesMay 11, 2021
Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, 1st Baronet ARA, was a British artist and designer closely associated with the Pre-Raphaelite movement. Middle Ages, Arthurian Legends, knights, and chivalry were among the artist’s favorite subjects. Everything started when Alfred Tennyson published Morte d’Arthur in...
All that Glitters: The Sparkling World of Medieval MosaicsMay 10, 2021
Welcome to the sparkling world of medieval mosaics! Although not as famous as illuminated manuscripts or stained glass, mosaic was a popular art form that enlivened both Christian churches and Islamic mosques during the Middle Ages. Mosaics are...
- 10 Times When Egon Schiele Mastered Hip Hop Hand Gestures
- How to Show Music in Paintings? Best Depictions of Music in Art
- 10 Female Artists Forgotten By Art History
- Painting of the Week: Claude Raguet Hirst, A Gentleman’s Table
- Mary Cassatt: The Story of the American Impressionist
- 10 Great Women Sculptors You Should Know
- The Masterpiece of the Week: Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright
- The Top 10 Strange and Bizarre Paintings
- The Most Important Day! Wedding Inspiration in Art
- True Tips for a Happier Life from the Miniatures of Reza Abbasi