Viking Art: From Ships and Swords to Ornate BroochesApril 19, 2019
Vikings and their culture have filled our lives since their days of domination. There are TV shows, sports teams; Nordic culture and mythology permeate the media with superhero characters like Thor; anime series such as Attack on Titan...
Notre-Dame Is Burning DownApril 15, 2019
The world has received the very sad news that Paris’s famous Notre-Dame cathedral is burning down. Sometime on April 15, 2019, during renovations to the church, the roof and spire caught fire, which spread quickly. At the time...
Discovering Camelot: Arthurian Art in PolandApril 12, 2019
1887 saw a significant discovery in the field of medieval art, though at the time nobody, not even the discoverer himself, was aware of the real value of his find. The discoverer was one Wilhelm Klose, the tax...
Treasures of Medieval Irish Art to Celebrate St. Patrick’s DayMarch 17, 2019
Today is St. Patrick’s Day, so that means it’s a day to celebrate all things Irish. What better way to do that than by looking at some masterpieces of Irish art? Although there have been spectacular Irish artists...
Byzantine Icons. The Who, What, When, and WhereMarch 13, 2019
Byzantine icons are more of a prayer object than anything else. Though likened to idolatry, the icons mean more than what can be confined by that singular definition. Byzantine icons in the Medieval church were used to accompany...
Five Fun Facts About Gargoyles – Quirky Creatures of the Middle Ages and BeyondMarch 2, 2019
Everybody loves gargoyles! I used to think I was alone in this, but I’ve come to learn that’s not at all true. In case any of you don’t know, a gargoyle is a carved human, animal, or monster...
Painting of the Week: Giotto, Ognissanti MadonnaJanuary 27, 2019
Giotto di Bondone is known as the artist who in the 13th century began to paint in a way that led art history to Renaissance. This Florentine painter revolutionized the depiction of the human form. As the late-16th...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art