Demystifying Cycladic FigurinesOctober 9, 2019
Cycladic figurines have a mythical aura. Their gleaming abstract forms speak of timeless beauty. But what actually are they? Why do they look like a Brancusi sculpture (or why do Brancusi sculptures look like them)? Once Upon a...
Venus Vincit Omnia. Venus in ArtSeptember 9, 2019
Venus (also known by her Greek name Aphrodite) is the Goddess of Love. We’ve explored some famous Venus’ here. Next, Velázquez’s portrait put her onto the list of contenders for “Best Bums in Art.” Then there’s a discussion...
Pentelic Splendour: The Erechtheion CaryatidsJune 3, 2019
I visited Athens, Greece in the summer of 2016. Naturally a visit to the Acropolis was mandatory, and it was as beautiful and epic as you can imagine. One of the most striking sights was the six Caryatids...
Jewelry in Ancient Greece: Hellenistic Period PiecesApril 3, 2019
When approaching art or the history related to it, certain questions arise. Such as the who what when where and significance of the object of work of art in question. I think that with jewelry, the questions center...
The Ancient Greek Kouros and KoreJanuary 14, 2019
Classical Greek statues depicting male and female bodies are iconic, legendary and set the standards for numerous artists and art movements to come. Preceding the Classical Era, was the Archaic (7th-5th c. BCE) during which statues of young...
The A to Z of Ancient Greek Pottery Terms Pt 2October 25, 2018
And so the saga continues in our adventures of learning about Ancient Greek pottery! You will probably have noticed that I chose to skip a few letters of the alphabet in this article and the previous one on...
Some Things to Know about the Ancient Greek Stylistic PeriodsOctober 3, 2018
There are four general Ancient Greek stylistic periods. Different, note-worthy styles, influences from invading cultures and their lasting effects on the art of Ancient Greece characterize each period. *Below is a generalization of the major Ancient Greek stylistic periods.*...
- Coffee, Tea, Beer… Drinks in Art for All Tastes!
- 10 Best Portraits Of Édouard Manet
- The Orientalism of Eugène Delacroix – Beware of the Colors!
- Here Comes the Sun… Sunrises for Hope in Art
- Ardhanarishvara – Androgynous Portrayal of Shiva and Parvati
- Lesbian Love and Sex in Art History
- Artists’ Beloved Travel Destinations as Seen Through Their Art
- Pink Unicorns, Cowboys and Candy Clouds: Welcome to Will Cotton’s Own Wild West
- 10 Cocktails Inspired by Art for Artsy Drinking
- Great Artists’ Dachshund Muses