Unique Greek Geometric Art to See in Florida: Exhibition and InterviewFebruary 5, 2021
In conversation with Dr. Michael Bennett, MFA Senior Curator of Early Western Art at the Museum of Fine Arts St. Petersburg, we explore the world of the Greek Geometric period and the Homeric epics. From Chaos to Order...
Painting of the Week: Leonidas at Thermopylae by Jacques-Louis DavidJanuary 24, 2021
Whether you are within an academic environment or at a coffee shop, when the term ‘Neoclassicism’ and its huge influence on the visual arts arise, you are likely to hear the name Jacques-Louis David many times. David was...
Not So Dark After All: Greek Designs from the Dark AgesJanuary 18, 2021
In the mid-12th century BCE, the grand palaces and sprawling kingdoms that had defined life in the Mediterranean began to deteriorate. Perhaps traveling marauders crippled the region’s trade routes, plagues decreased their populations, or natural disasters wreaked havoc on...
The Torlonia Marbles: A Long-awaited Classical CollectionJanuary 4, 2021
After strictly remaining in the shade for decades and decades, one of the world’s most extensive private collections of classical sculpture, the Torlonia marbles became partially public on the 14th of October. Out of 600+ artifacts that belong...
The Top 5 Most Badass Women of Greek MythologyDecember 6, 2020
Most people have heard stories of the most famous Greek gods and heroes: Zeus, Poseidon, Hercules, Hades, etc. But what about the tales and woes of mythical women? Ranging from clever queens to murderous witches, this is a...
Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should KnowNovember 21, 2020
Greek art and sculpture has had a profound effect on art throughout the ages. Many of the styles have been reproduced and copied by some of what the modern day audiences would classify as the finest artists to...
Pompeii of the Aegean: The Wall Paintings of TheraNovember 19, 2020
The wall paintings of Thera (Santorini) reveal the bustling civilization that existed on the southernmost island of the Cyclades circa 1600 BCE. Around that time the island suffered a devastating earthquake along with a volcanic eruption which caused...
- DailyArt Magazine Turns Four! Our Impressions of the Impressionists
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- Divine Beauty of Landscapes: California on Canvas
- 5 Best DailyArt Magazine Articles As Selected By Our Readers
- Happy Birthday Gustav Klimt! 5 Things You Need To Know About Him
- 15 Cats in Art History Every Cat Lover Would Love
- Pure Happiness, Fun, and Joy in Jan Steen’s Paintings
- The Unbelievable Story of Killer Rabbits in Medieval Manuscripts
- Cheer Me Up! 10 Funniest DailyArt Magazine Articles Ever
- The Dutch Master of Selfies: Rembrandt’s 6 Magnificent Self-Portraits