Painting of the Week: Fragment of a Floor Mosaic with a Personification of KtisisOctober 18, 2020
The bejeweled woman from the mosaic, holding the measuring tool for the Roman foot, is identified by the restored Greek inscription as Ktisis. She is a figure personifying the act of generous donation or foundation. Ktisis, in Greek ktísis –...
Greek Mythological Creatures that Combine Female Beauty and Beastly UglinessSeptember 12, 2020
Gods, goddesses, demigods, horrible monsters, and beasts of hybrid forms roam the world of Ancient Greek mythology. Their heredity shaped many of the fictional and fantastical creatures of our time. From Sirens that lure sailors to their deaths...
The Serene Beauty of a Pastoral Love: Daphnis and Chloé PaintingsSeptember 11, 2020
Well-known love stories are an essential part of our literary conscience. Within these stories, themes such as separation, sacrifice, and passion play a significant role. Yet, there are not many examples where the love between characters is as...
Three Unique Portrayals of Europa’s Abduction MythSeptember 10, 2020
The mesmerizing realm of Greek mythology is one of the greatest sources for artists to exhibit their technical brilliance and unique interpretations. Its influence and weight not only strongly felt in visual arts, but in every other artistic...
How to Show Up in a Gym – 3 Ancient Sculptures of HerculesSeptember 9, 2020
In Greek mythology Hercules was a demigod and much admired heroic figure. The Romans called him Hercules (Herakles was his Greek name) and he was imported into their mythological story of the founding of Rome. In mythology, Hercules,...
The Parthenon Mythology and ArchitectureSeptember 8, 2020
Mythology is a pretty broad topic in Ancient Greek history. And even more so is the use of mythological figures in ancient Greek art. From pottery to sculptures, we can see that the ancient Greeks were inspired by...
Timeless Beauty: Ancient Greek Athletes in ArtJuly 25, 2020
The idea of timeless beauty is fascinating. Also, it’s a great concern for lovers of art history. Conceptions of beauty in Western art history have many roots in the ancient Greek athlete. This is partly due to the...
- Léon Spilliaert: The Longing Behind the Symbolism
- Kiyohara Yukinobu: Sublime Female Painter of the Kano School
- Stendhal Syndrome – The Art Fans Sickness
- Everything You Must Know About Suprematism and Kazimir Malevich
- DailyArt Magazine Turns Four! Our Impressions of the Impressionists
- Visit in Madrid or Online: The Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum
- The Art Of Thanksgiving By Norman Rockwell
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- The Best Autumn Foods in Still-Life Paintings
- 8 Paintings For Thanksgiving That Will Warm Your Heart