Stories By Lauren Dorsey
The Link Between Shipibo Pottery and Female Identity: Designs from the Peruvian AmazonFebruary 9, 2021
Along the Ucayali River of Northeastern Peru, women from the Shipibo-Conibo villages have been composing striking, geometric designs to cover pottery, woodcarvings, and textiles for over twelve hundred years. Each woman must design her own pattern...
Not So Dark After All: Greek Designs from the Dark AgesJanuary 18, 2021
In the mid-12th century BCE, the grand palaces and sprawling kingdoms that had defined life in the Mediterranean began to deteriorate. Perhaps traveling marauders crippled the region’s trade routes, plagues decreased their populations, or natural disasters wreaked...
How to Identify a Roman Emperor by His BeardJanuary 9, 2021
How many times have you walked into a museum full of statues or busts and not been able to tell one ancient sculpture from another? It can be intimidating to stand in a room of marble...
The Top 5 Most Badass Women of Greek MythologyDecember 6, 2020
Most people have heard stories of the most famous Greek gods and heroes: Zeus, Poseidon, Hercules, Hades, etc. But what about the tales and woes of mythical women? Ranging from clever queens to murderous witches, this...
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art
- How to Show Music in Paintings? Best Depictions of Music in Art
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- All You Need to Know About the Lascaux Cave
- CHEAP: When Art Meets Activism – Interview with the Co-founder Sara Manfredi
- Paintings in the Movie “The Accountant”
- Everything You Must Know About All Michelangelo’s Pietàs
- Met Gala: When Art Meets High Fashion on the Beige Carpet (2021 Update!)
- The Hidden Meanings of Nature in Čiurlionis’ Paintings