In Silent Expectation – Another Place by Antony GormleyMay 11, 2019
Driving out of Liverpool, past run-down warehouses and dockside cranes, I wonder if I’ve taken a wrong turn. But 10 minutes later I see signs to ‘Another Place’ and pull in to a desolate, wind-whipped car park next...
A Song and a Prayer – Croatia’s Ivan MestrovicApril 23, 2019
My favorite thing about Instagram is coming across new art and artists – scrolling and finding things that excite you and catch your eye. A page I follow posted a photo of Ivan Mestrovic’s Vestalka (Vestil Virgin) and...
Made for Reflection: Yayoi Kusama’s Narcissus GardenApril 17, 2019
Let’s take a look at one of the most interesting works in Yayoi Kusama’s career. Was it commercial or high art? A performance or an installation? Back in 1966, Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama (b. 1929) first exhibited one...
Sacred Signs – Prehistoric SculptureApril 9, 2019
It seems that forming figurative shapes out of natural materials has always been with us. As humans developed, a bigger, more sophisticated brain allowed for more processing power and higher functions such as language and creative expression. Prehistoric...
Art of the Brick – Nathan Sawaya’s Lego WorksMarch 27, 2019
Lego springs to mind as one of the key toys of many people’s childhoods. Whether building houses, spacecrafts or just stepping on that elusive piece, most people have some kind of experience with the little plastic building blocks....
The Eyes Have It: The Moai of Easter IslandMarch 5, 2019
The monolithic moai statues on Easter Island have long been shrouded in mystery. Almost a thousand years since their creation, they still fascinate with unanswered questions the likes of other enigmatic structures such as the pyramids of Egypt...
Five Fun Facts About Gargoyles – Quirky Creatures of the Middle Ages and BeyondMarch 2, 2019
Everybody loves gargoyles! I used to think I was alone in this, but I’ve come to learn that’s not at all true. In case any of you don’t know, a gargoyle is a carved human, animal, or monster...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball Center