I Know What I Am. A Fascinating Graphic Novel about Artemisia GentileschiOctober 2, 2019
The riveting life story of Baroque’s most famous woman painter – Artemisia Gentileschi. Told and shown by Gina Siciliano in her beautifully published graphic novel I Know What I Am. Allow me to start with a small disclosure:...
Painting of the Week: Diego Velázquez, The Rokeby VenusAugust 18, 2019
Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez (1599 – 1660) was the leading artist in the court of King Philip IV, and one of the most important painters of the Spanish Golden Age and European Baroque. And The Rokeby...
History of Venetian Carnival MasksAugust 16, 2019
It is not a surprise that every carnival, regardless of its country origin or other characteristics, is traditionally associated with Venetian carnival masks. Being a primary sign of a carnival, the mask has an interesting history connected with...
A Secret Revealed in a Dresden VermeerJuly 31, 2019
A major German art museum recently revealed an exciting new discovery – a hidden image of a Cupid in Johannes Vermeer’s Girl Reading a Letter at an Open Window, 1657-1659. Conservators at the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister at the...
15 Things You May Not Know About The Night Watch by RembrandtJuly 8, 2019
The Night Watch painted by Rembrandt van Rijn is a colossal (363 × 437 cm) and most famous canvas created by the artist. It is one of the icons of Western art history. Painted in 1642, at the peak of...
Artemisia Gentileschi: A Changing Landscape for the Discourse of Art HistoryJuly 6, 2019
Much 16th and 17th century art focuses on mythological tropes and origin stories which are deeply embedded in misogyny and sexual violence. Gendered violence was aetheticised, rape heroised. In accordance with ‘the male gaze’, these were not paintings...
Wishes & Streams: Trevi Fountain in RomeJuly 4, 2019
With another heat wave hitting Europe this summer, I was reminded of my visit to Rome during the last heat wave with crowds clamoring around fountains and spouts around the city. The most crowded and famous being the...
- How Many Paintings From Louvre Shown On This Video Can You Recognize?
- Everything You Should Know About Orientalism
- Top 7 Summer Destinations (From Art)
- Welcome to the Wonderful Circus of Dame Laura Knight!
- ALL Louvre Masterpieces From Beyonce & Jay-Z’s ‘APES**T’ Video Explained
- Representation vs Reality: Artists Portrayed in Midnight in Paris. Part I
- Abstraction In Creation – Watch Gerhard Richter At Work
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Pablo Picasso And His Women
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)