Nine Reasons to Smile with Frans HalsApril 4, 2019
Frans Hals (c. 1582 – 1666) was one of the Dutch Golden Age painters. Born in Antwerp, he spent his entire adult life in Haarlem. Hals is most famous for his portraits, which also form the bulk of...
Painting of the Week: Artemisia Gentileschi, Self Portrait as Saint Catherine of AlexandriaMarch 24, 2019
Artemisia Gentileschi (1593 – c. 1656) was ‘one of the best Italian Baroque painters.’ Despite this, you won’t find any of her works in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., nor in the Louvre in Paris. Like...
Everything You Must Know About Las MeninasAugust 24, 2018
This is one of Velázquez’s largest paintings in which he worked very hard to create a complex and credible composition that would convey a ‘sense of life’. Las Meninas, which in Spanish stands for The Ladies-in-waiting, is one of...
Fun And Joy In Jan Steen PaintingsAugust 23, 2018
Hello, dear readers of DAM! In the last few weeks I’ve had bad days, and I’m very happy to be back. To prove to you how happy I am, how about talking about happiness again? Today I want...
The Explosive Life and Death of Carel FabritiusMay 16, 2018
There is very little known about the life of Carel Fabritius. The scholars didn’t really get a chance to delve into archival materials about him because there is barely any. Same with paintings, there are around solely circa...
Painting Of The Week – Rembrandt van Rijn, FloraApril 22, 2018
Rembrandt painted his beloved wife Saskia van Uylenburgh as Flora, goddess of spring and flowers, three times: in 1634, 1635 (Saskia as Flora, National Gallery of London, UK) and 1641 (Saskia with a red flower, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden,...
Women’s Place Is In The Kitchen: The Story of Dutch Genre PaintingJanuary 11, 2018
One of the unquestionable masters of Dutch genre painting was Jan Vermeer. However, today I want to present two less known painters: Peter de Hooch and Jan Steen. Ready for some Dutch interiors? Genre? Genre painting was not...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art