The Torlonia Marbles: A Long-awaited Classical CollectionJanuary 4, 2021
After strictly remaining in the shade for decades and decades, one of the world’s most extensive private collections of classical sculpture, the Torlonia marbles became partially public on the 14th of October. Out of 600+ artifacts that belong...
The Lifelike Death Fayum Portraits of Roman EgyptNovember 21, 2020
Though they are often referred to as “Fayum portraits” – taking their title from the location of a region in Egypt where Pharaoh Amenemhat III’s mortuary temple once stood – they came from various places across Egypt. These...
Roman Floor Mosaics: Stories in Stone and GlassOctober 17, 2020
Floor mosaics are one of the most well-preserved and widespread types of Roman art. They were found throughout the Roman Empire from Britain to Mesopotamia. Mostly used in public buildings such as Roman baths and marketplaces, they were...
Ancient Bikini Girls from the Roman MosaicsOctober 17, 2020
If you have ever wondered when the history of the bikini began, it started exactly at the same time and place in history as philosophy, mathematics, and art: with the ancient! The Roman mosaics found in Sicily prove...
Erotic Art in Pompeii and Herculaneum (NSFW!)September 30, 2020
Erotic art in Pompeii and Herculaneum is a phenomenon often omitted from textbooks about ancient history. These famous Roman cities destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 CE were discovered with preserved buildings and artifacts in...
How to Show Up in a Gym – 3 Ancient Sculptures of HerculesSeptember 9, 2020
In Greek mythology Hercules was a demigod and much admired heroic figure. The Romans called him Hercules (Herakles was his Greek name) and he was imported into their mythological story of the founding of Rome. In mythology, Hercules,...
The Curious Lure and Strange Beauty of Ancient Anatomical VotivesJune 12, 2020
Eerie, mysterious, and fascinating, ancient anatomical votives represent literal parts of people’s past. When most people think of a votive object, a beautiful statue might come to mind, not an anonymous pair of ears or a woman’s uterus....
- Art from Horror Movies: Japanese Woodblocks of Tsukioka Yoshitoshi
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- Eyewitness to Space: The NASA Art Program
- Divine Beauty of Landscapes: California on Canvas
- 5 Best DailyArt Magazine Articles As Selected By Our Readers
- Cheer Me Up! 10 Funniest DailyArt Magazine Articles Ever
- Pure Happiness, Fun, and Joy in Jan Steen’s Paintings
- Diego Rivera’s Life in Self-Portraits
- The Dutch Master of Selfies: Rembrandt’s 6 Magnificent Self-Portraits
- Symbolism Special: Jacek Malczewski’s Dates with Death