Stories By Anuradha Sroha
Lise Tréhot. The Mysterious Beauty from Renoir’s PaintingsAugust 2, 2020
Born into a humble French family, Lise Tréhot (1848–1922) was an artist’s model who posed exclusively for Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841–1919). Lise posed for almost all of the female figures depicted by Renoir from 1866 until 1872....
Best Male Nudes in Art History (NSFW!)July 18, 2020
Nudity in art first became significant in ancient Greece. The athletic competitions at religious festivals celebrated the male body as an embodiment of all that was best in humanity. While the female nude was a symbol...
A Meringue Ballerina: Anna Pavlova in PaintingsJuly 8, 2020
Anna Pavlova, a Russian ballerina, was highly independent for her times. She formed her own company and choreographed her own performances. She toured the world for twenty years and introduced ballet to other parts of the...
Home and Migration in the Artworks of Zarina HashmiJuly 1, 2020
Zarina Hashmi (16 July 1937 – 25 April 2020), was an Indian-American artist and printmaker based in New York City. She was known by her professional name, Zarina. Her works include drawings, prints, and sculptures. She...
Boys with Plants in Art (Hotties Alert!)May 18, 2020
Boys and men posing with plants and flowers is a popular theme in art. The concept was revisited on Instagram, a social media platform on the account @boyswithplants. Although Instagram photographs focus on plants for their...
Rainbows in Art History: A Symbol of Hope for a Better FutureMay 4, 2020
Let us look at the significance of rainbows in art history across different cultures. Even though we now know the scientific reason behind rainbows, they continue to fascinate us. For artists, rainbows have been subjects of...
- The Pre-Raphaelites and the Wombat
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Giovanna Garzoni – A Baroque Painter Inspires an Art Challenge
- 5 Artists Who Likely Suffered From Syphilis
- Punk in Art: Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and Cyberpunk
- Painting of the Week: Henri Rousseau, The Football Players
- Four Women Impressionists You Shouldn’t Forget
- Timeless Beauty: Ancient Greek Athletes in Art
- The Dreamlike, Queer Femme Paintings of Marie Laurencin
- Art History Reveals: Women in Sport