Three Unique Portrayals of Europa’s Abduction MythSeptember 10, 2020
The mesmerizing realm of Greek mythology is one of the greatest sources for artists to exhibit their technical brilliance and unique interpretations. Its influence and weight not only strongly felt in visual arts, but in every other artistic...
How to Show Up in a Gym – 3 Ancient Sculptures of HerculesSeptember 9, 2020
In Greek mythology Hercules was a demigod and much admired heroic figure. The Romans called him Hercules (Herakles was his Greek name) and he was imported into their mythological story of the founding of Rome. In mythology, Hercules,...
Artists and Their MythsSeptember 7, 2020
Sometimes, the story that is attached to an artist is as important as their craft. Let’s take a look at artists and the myths that are related to them. Though many think of myth as a fictional story,...
Alexander the Great and His Mermaid Sister in Greek FolkloreSeptember 7, 2020
There is no need for a long introduction to Alexander the Great’s place in history; he is one of the most famous military leaders and he has been depicted many times in both ancient and modern art. However,...
Back to School: The Great Art History 101September 5, 2020
Welcome to Art History 101! Here we’ll get to “oh“ and “ah” over iconic art that has shaped human ideas and thinking for centuries as we travel through artistic periods and wonderful works of art. But, wait! What...
Contrapposto 101 – It’s All in the PoseAugust 31, 2020
If you are taking an introductory art history course in school this semester, you’ll soon be talking a lot about contrapposto. I remember hearing this term constantly when I was a freshman art history student. (Good times!) So,...
Get Inspired: Famous Painters’ BedroomsAugust 30, 2020
Moving houses is an enterprise, isn’t it? Packing, getting rid of useless but loved items, sending boxes with winter clothes… Then, there is always the excitement for the new mixed with nostalgia for the piece of the world...
- The Erotic Potential of The Temptation of St. Anthony
- The Serene Beauty of a Pastoral Love: Daphnis and Chloé Paintings
- Tattoos – Ancient Ink to Modern Celebrity
- 10 Awesome Pairs of Shoes from the Victoria & Albert Collection
- Why Babies in Medieval Paintings Look Like Ugly Old Men
- Dior AW 2020-21: Deconstructing Art References
- A Capri Romance: John Singer Sargent and Rosina Fererra
- Rethinking the Word “Muse” in the Arts
- The Met Gala and Beyond: Fashion and Art
- Real Gray’s Anatomy. Medical Illustration from an Artistic Genre to a Profession