Painting of the Week: Jean-Baptiste Chardin, The Monkey PainterJanuary 26, 2020
It’s tacky! It’s funny! It’s weird! Yes, Jean-Baptiste Chardin’s The Monkey Painter is definitely not what you would consider in good taste. It definitely has the appeal you would find in a funny greeting card, or maybe in...
Chinese New Year – the Art of CelebrationJanuary 25, 2020
Imagine a household celebrating the Chinese New Year where children share a home and joyfully play together. They have different kinds of toys to play with; two children play with a puppet hanging from a pole, like out...
10 Things You Need To Know About Jan Van EyckJanuary 18, 2020
Jan van Eyck was a Flemish painter active in Bruges who was born in 1390 and died in 1441. He was one of the innovators of what became known as Early Netherlandish painting, and one of the most...
AE Russell’s Visions of IrelandJanuary 17, 2020
George William Russell, known as AE, painted the spirits and visions he had seen since childhood. His Irish landscapes are topographically familiar, but juxtaposed with fairyland qualities. Russell’s paintings glow with light and soft colors, which often form...
Hot Chocolate Paintings for a Cozy EveningDecember 26, 2019
Although December has been extremely warm this year I still crave a good old hot chocolate and a cozy evening under the blankets. The Gift for Strangers Chocolate means ‘Food of the Gods’ and although all social classes...
Ugly Cities TransformedDecember 13, 2019
Seeing a place, object or person through the eyes of an artist can change our perception of the subject of the artwork. So, if art is such a powerful and emotional medium, can we use art to transform...
Maneki Neko – Those Lucky Cats (NSFW)December 12, 2019
We’ve all seen those jovial, happy cat figurines in Asian restaurants and shops. Sitting upright with their raised paw, smiling face and trademark bell and bib, Maneki Neko (in Japanese 招き猫, “beckoning cat”) have symbolized all kinds of...
- The Sad Story Of Vincent Van Gogh And His Lovers
- Painting of the Week: Nicolas Maes, Young Woman Peeling Apples
- The Sound Of Colour: Music Inspired By Visual Art – A Top 10
- Brief Story of Claude Monet’s Garden in Giverny
- Paula Modersohn-Becker: The Unknown Expressionist
- My name is Sofonisba And I’m Michelangelo’s Gal
- The Erotic Drawings of Francesco Hayez [+18]
- Murder on the Canvas: How artists portray the ultimate taboo
- The Mystery of Vincent Van Gogh’s Death
- Best Vermeer’s Forger And His Fakes