Masterpiece of the Week: Meat Stall with the Holy Family Giving Alms by Pieter Aertsen
That’s My Color! Famous Painters’ Trademark ColorsSeptember 3, 2021
Did you know that there are some colors that you can’t use in your art? Such “painters’ trademarked colors” are owned by certain artists, and you cannot legally use them without consulting the artist beforehand. Others could be...
Iconic Colors in Art HistorySeptember 3, 2021
Every person probably dreams of leaving a legacy to the world. For artists this is a central goal and they try to do it through their masterpieces of course. Some people even went further though… They gave their...
Lapis Lazuli – A Pigment More Precious than GoldSeptember 1, 2021
Lapis lazuli, once more precious than gold, has a history of over 9.000 years. The earliest artifacts found at Bhirrana, which is the oldest site of the Indus Valley Civilization, date back to 7570 BCE. Nowadays, it is...
The Queen of Neoclassical Photography: NellyAugust 21, 2021
For many, photography is merely a sophisticated way of immortalizing the current and carrying that frozen moment—which is impossible to recreate —onward to the vastness of time. Elli Sougioultzoglou-Seraidari (Έλλη Σουγιουλτζόγλου-Σεραϊδάρη), known as Nelly, a Greek photographer, not...
Scandalous World of Hans Bellmer: Dolls, Ropes, and Erotic PhotographyAugust 18, 2021
“I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me”, said Terence, Roman playwright sometime in the 2nd century BCE. I think that art and what inspired what you will see below, is exactly this: human...
Masterpiece of the Week: Saturnino Herrán, Our Ancient GodsAugust 15, 2021
Saturnino Herrán’s Our Ancient Gods is a masterful painting of Mexican Modernism from the early 20th century. It evokes the strength, dignity, and beauty of the Pre-Columbian people who fill Mexico’s lengthy history before the Spanish invasions of...
The Best of Dutch Still Life: 6 Famous PaintersAugust 14, 2021
In the art world, it is commonly agreed upon that still life painting as a genre rose in the Northern and Spanish Netherlands in the last quarter of the 16th century. The term still life comes from the Dutch word...
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Everything You Must Know About All Michelangelo’s Pietàs
- AI in Art: What Does It Mean?
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- Met Gala: When Art Meets High Fashion on the Beige Carpet (2021 Update!)
- CHEAP: When Art Meets Activism – Interview with the Co-founder Sara Manfredi
- A Unique Artist Encounter: When Ara Güler Met Pablo Picasso
- Peek into the Court: Stunning Qajar Portraits
- Van Gogh Museum Staff Picks