Painting of the Week: Kikukawa Eizan, The Courtesan Hinaaya of the Chōji House
Eleonora Ragusa or O’Tama Kiyohara: Japanese Painter in SicilyApril 14, 2020
Italy still holds so many secrets to me! One of such secrets was O’Tama Kiyohara (later Eleonora Ragusa), a woman so brave to leave her homeland for her husband and so ambitious to found a Japanese art school...
Counting Memories, Chiharu Shiota Installation in KatowiceFebruary 6, 2020
Counting Memories (Sept 7, 2019 – Oct 4, 2020) is a current, site-specific, large scale installation by Chiharu Shiota at the Muzeum Śląskie (Silesian Museum) in Katowice, Poland. A striking and powerful work, we were able to get...
Hiroshige’s Winter Views of EdoDecember 21, 2019
One of the most famous woodblock printers of the late Edo period in Japan, Hiroshige, produced a series of a hundred views showing Edo city (today’s Tokyo) from unusual viewing angles, which revealed the hidden beauty of everyday...
10 Beautiful Kimono from the Victoria & Albert Museum CollectionNovember 15, 2019
Victoria and Albert Museum in London is one of the leading museums focusing on art and design. It’s special for me due to the vast range of their collection, excluding no material or technique. V&A collects everything from...
An Introduction to Lee UfanAugust 21, 2019
Lee Ufan is a Korean born international artist, whose work is key to the Mono-ha movement. If you have ever been lucky enough to encounter a Lee Ufan in real life you will appreciate its power to bring...
Japan’s Art Island – NaoshimaJuly 23, 2019
Over the next year Japan will be hosting the Rugby World Cup and the 2020 Olympics, expecting visitors from all over the world. If you’re an art lover, who is also planning a trip to Japan, you should...
Autumn Moon In Japanese Woodblock PrintsSeptember 28, 2018
Anyone living in the Northern Hemisphere looked up in the sky in the past couple of days? I did, mostly to admire the full moon which brought to Venice the first cold winds, an obvious sign that summer...
- 15 Cats in Art History Every Cat Lover Would Love
- How To Do 21st Century Grand Tour according to Mr. Bacchus
- The Sacred Cats of Ancient Egypt
- Lee Krasner, Much More than a Muse
- Can You Spot the Cat? Cats Hidden in Famous Paintings
- HERE: Black in Rembrandt’s Time. Rembrandthuis Decolonizes
- Six Exquisite Mother-of-Pearl Artifacts from Gujarat
- Maneki Neko – Those Lucky Cats (NSFW)
- Enchanting World of the Russian Tale: Seven Disney Characters in Russian Art
- Four Women Impressionists You Shouldn’t Forget