The Original Guerilla Girls: Claude Cahun and Marcel MooreNovember 10, 2020
A book review of Paper Bullets by Jeffrey H Jackson. If I asked for your top 10 political artists, does Claude Cahun spring to mind? Marcel Moore? No, I guessed as much. But these two art activists have...
15 Books About Art to Read During QuarantineNovember 7, 2020
Hopefully you are all in good health as the coronavirus rampages through the world! As quarantine seems to be the order of the day again and DailyArt Magazine’s crew is here to make sure you don’t succumb to...
Is Jeff Koons’ Art Pornography? (18+)October 3, 2020
Jeff Koons has been controversial from the very beginning of his career, which began in around 1979. Having experimented with inflatable bunnies, sculptures of cheesy angels and a lot of pink, he challenges us and our pre-conceptions of art...
Tattoos – Ancient Ink to Modern CelebritySeptember 13, 2020
Love them or loathe them, tattoos are a global phenomenon. Inserting pigment under the skin for decorative or ritualistic purposes has been around since prehistoric times. Tattooing is a close relative of scarification and piercing, and examples exist...
Julia Margaret Cameron. The Queen of Pre-Raphaelite PhotographyJune 20, 2020
The English Victorian artist Julia Margaret Cameron (who was actually born in India and raised in France) was an irreplaceable representative of pre-Raphaelite photography. With a careful look, Julia produced portraits of deep sensitivity, marked by the drama she could...
Claude Cahun. A Surrealist Queer ProphetJune 15, 2020
Claude Cahun famously said “Masculine? Feminine? It depends on the situation. Neuter is the only gender that always suits me.” Photographer, writer and political activist, Claude Cahun was born in 1894 in Nantes, France into an intellectual Jewish...
Tableaux Vivants: A Long History of Recreating ArtMay 1, 2020
A fanciful costume, a theatrical pose, the right light… and for a few seconds the viewer is immersed in a “living picture.” You have probably recently seen in social media some pieces of art recreated from homes. But...
- Kiyohara Yukinobu: Sublime Female Painter of the Kano School
- Hiroshige’s Winter Views of Edo
- Stendhal Syndrome – The Art Fans Sickness
- Everything You Must Know About Suprematism and Kazimir Malevich
- Winter in Paris: Gustave Caillebotte, Rooftops in the Snow
- DailyArt Magazine Turns Four! Our Impressions of the Impressionists
- Native American Art from Donald Ellis Gallery at the Frieze Viewing Room
- Visit in Madrid or Online: The Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum
- Léon Spilliaert: The Longing Behind the Symbolism
- The Art Of Thanksgiving By Norman Rockwell