Portraits of Catherine the Great, Empress of all the RussiasMay 8, 2021
Catherine the Great (1729-1796) ruled almost the entire second half of the 18th century. Her reign was very successful on the world arena and gave solutions to a number of political problems. Take a look at these famous...
Painting of the Week: Anne Vallayer-Coster, Still Life with MackerelMarch 28, 2021
Anne Vallayer-Coster was one of the foremost still-life painters in 18th century France. She was enormously prolific and extremely popular. Her works were highly esteemed among private collectors and public institutions. Vallayer-Coster displayed at the Salon de Paris,...
Smolyanki: The Nymphs of Russian EnlightenmentFebruary 8, 2021
The Russian empress Catherine the Great aspired to Enlightenment ideas that propagate human intellectual power. Numerous tracts, essays, and books of French philosophers formed an image of a perfect state and society in Catherine’s mind. Thus, the empress...
How to Look Great: Rococo Women Beauty GuideFebruary 4, 2021
How to look great? That is the question! Let’s refer to the most splendid and opulent period of history: the 18th century. The Enlightenment era was likely the first feminist wave because of the powerful women who came...
Joseph Wright of Derby: Painting the Industrial RevolutionDecember 11, 2020
Joseph Wright of Derby is deemed as the first painter to capture the spirit of the Industrial Revolution. His paintings portray the zeitgeist of his time during the Age of Enlightenment. The Enlightenment was a shift in philosophical...
Painting of the Week: François Boucher, La ToiletteNovember 22, 2020
The soft rustle of silky cloth and the hard crackling of burning wood echo against the yellow papered walls of the boudoir. The small room is overflowing with sensual delights as two women perform a daily routine of...
The Government Venus: Top Five Portraits of Elisabeth of RussiaAugust 12, 2020
Elisabeth of Russia (1709-1761) was the most beautiful empress from the Romanov dynasty. Contemporaries called her “the sparkle of Peter the Great” as she was his daughter, and Elisabeth Petrovna did her best to associate her reign with...
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Everything You Must Know About All Michelangelo’s Pietàs
- AI in Art: What Does It Mean?
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- Met Gala: When Art Meets High Fashion on the Beige Carpet (2021 Update!)
- CHEAP: When Art Meets Activism – Interview with the Co-founder Sara Manfredi
- A Unique Artist Encounter: When Ara Güler Met Pablo Picasso
- Peek into the Court: Stunning Qajar Portraits
- Van Gogh Museum Staff Picks
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art