Smolyanki: The Nymphs of Russian EnlightenmentFebruary 8, 2021
The Russian empress Catherine the Great aspired to Enlightenment ideas that propagate human intellectual power. Numerous tracts, essays, and books of French philosophers formed an image of a perfect state and society in Catherine’s mind. Thus, the empress...
How to Look Great: Rococo Women Beauty GuideFebruary 4, 2021
How to look great? That is the question! Let’s refer to the most splendid and opulent period of history: the 18th century. The Enlightenment era was likely the first feminist wave because of the powerful women who came...
Joseph Wright of Derby: Painting the Industrial RevolutionDecember 11, 2020
Joseph Wright of Derby is deemed as the first painter to capture the spirit of the Industrial Revolution. His paintings portray the zeitgeist of his time during the Age of Enlightenment. The Enlightenment was a shift in philosophical...
Painting of the Week: François Boucher, La ToiletteNovember 22, 2020
The soft rustle of silky cloth and the hard crackling of burning wood echo against the yellow papered walls of the boudoir. The small room is overflowing with sensual delights as two women perform a daily routine of...
The Government Venus: Top Five Portraits of Elisabeth of RussiaAugust 12, 2020
Elisabeth of Russia (1709-1761) was the most beautiful empress from the Romanov dynasty. Contemporaries called her “the sparkle of Peter the Great” as she was his daughter, and Elisabeth Petrovna did her best to associate her reign with...
Monument Women: Die Prinzessinnengruppe by SchadowJuly 27, 2020
An unassuming and charming statue group, the Prinzessinnengruppe (Princess Group) 1795-1797, depicting Prussian Princesses Louise and Frederike, by Johann Gottfried Schadow is filled with a fascinating history. Marveled during its day, it was hidden away and forgotten for...
Painting of the Week: Thomas Gainsborough, Grace Dalrymple ElliottJuly 19, 2020
The Frick Collection has an amazing ensemble of European masters. For example, works by Vermeer, Fragonard, and Goya grace its walls. Every room has its showpiece, and every showpiece has its story. Grace Dalrymple Elliott by Thomas Gainsborough...
- DailyArt Magazine Turns Four! Our Impressions of the Impressionists
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- Divine Beauty of Landscapes: California on Canvas
- 5 Best DailyArt Magazine Articles As Selected By Our Readers
- Happy Birthday Gustav Klimt! 5 Things You Need To Know About Him
- 15 Cats in Art History Every Cat Lover Would Love
- Pure Happiness, Fun, and Joy in Jan Steen’s Paintings
- The Unbelievable Story of Killer Rabbits in Medieval Manuscripts
- Cheer Me Up! 10 Funniest DailyArt Magazine Articles Ever
- The Dutch Master of Selfies: Rembrandt’s 6 Magnificent Self-Portraits