Mythological Femmes Fatales in the Mysterious Symbolist PaintingsSeptember 9, 2020
Symbolism developed in the 19th century, it began as a literary movement but quickly moved into other art forms. Symbolist painters rejected the advent of new technologies, scientific thought, and naturalism. Instead, they favored thoughts and feelings. Given...
Royal Portraits: The Art of ImageAugust 16, 2020
Shakespeare once wrote, “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” For monarchs throughout history, the importance of their name went hand-in-hand with their image. How did one...
Enchanting World of the Russian Tale: Seven Disney Characters in Russian ArtAugust 3, 2020
All of us watched Disney cartoons in our childhood and many people re-watch them even into adulthood. However, the original plots appeared in early historical periods when tales took place only in verbal or written narrations. That is...
A Queer World in Konstantin Somov’s ArtworksJune 22, 2020
Konstantin Somov (1869-1939) was a Russian painter, co-founder of the artistic movement Mir Iskusstva and well known for his watercolors associated with the 18th-century style. A frequent inspiration for Somov’s artworks were the characters, Marquise and Harlequin; depicted with painted...
When the Arts Meet: Art Inspired Album CoversMay 11, 2020
If music is the soul of an album then the art on the cover must be its body. The choice of artwork for an album cover is an important one because at a glance it conveys the style...
Agostino Arrivabene – A Modern AlchemistApril 28, 2020
Agostino Arrivabene (born in 1967) is a visionary yet secluded Italian contemporary artist who continues to produce outstanding surrealist works from his 17th-century house located just outside Milan. His masterful paintings operate in a realm that has no time,...
Lady in Blue: Yelizaveta Martynova, Ill-Fated Russian Female ArtistMarch 6, 2020
Can you name some female artists, and from Russia in particular? It’s difficult even for those who are really into art. This article tells the story of one of four women who entered the Imperial Academy of Arts...
- Painting of the Week: Saint George and the Dragon
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- How Did Caravaggio Die? The Answer Is Not Easy
- The Mysterious Pinturas Negras Reveal Goya’s Darkest Secrets
- Under Hokusai’s Great Wave
- Did You Know that Monet Was a Master of Caricatures?
- #MeToo and the Medusa Myth
- Wanderlust Exhibition – Travel Desire Encapsulated in Paintings
- Maxfield Parrish – Life and Legacy
- Is Kylie Jenner the New Venus? Interview with the Artist Marco Battaglini
- 10 of the Most Famous Female Artist Self-Portraits
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art
- Frauhaus: Gunta Stölzl, Walter Gropius, and the Women of the Bauhaus
- The Ephemeral Magic of Raw Clay: Artist Interview with Phoebe Cummings
- The Surprising Career of Lavinia Fontana: Painter of Popes, Nudes, and Noblewomen