Get Inspired: Jewelry in Rossetti’s PaintingsSeptember 17, 2020
Each piece of jewelry in Rossetti’s paintings worn by his models wasn’t invented but copied from actual accessories from the artist’s collection. Pieces were carefully selected to complement the garment, color, and other aesthetic features of the painting....
The Erotic Potential of The Temptation of St. AnthonySeptember 11, 2020
Christianity has brought many popular topics to art over the centuries, yet the interpretation of a religious motif can drastically change depending on the artist and the period. This is especially evident in the 19th century, an era...
Mythological Femmes Fatales in the Mysterious Symbolist PaintingsSeptember 9, 2020
Symbolism developed in the 19th century, it began as a literary movement but quickly moved into other art forms. Symbolist painters rejected the advent of new technologies, scientific thought, and naturalism. Instead, they favored thoughts and feelings. Given...
Royal Portraits: The Art of ImageAugust 16, 2020
Shakespeare once wrote, “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” For monarchs throughout history, the importance of their name went hand-in-hand with their image. How did one...
Enchanting World of the Russian Tale: Seven Disney Characters in Russian ArtAugust 3, 2020
All of us watched Disney cartoons in our childhood and many people re-watch them even into adulthood. However, the original plots appeared in early historical periods when tales took place only in verbal or written narrations. That is...
A Queer World in Konstantin Somov’s ArtworksJune 22, 2020
Konstantin Somov (1869-1939) was a Russian painter, co-founder of the artistic movement Mir Iskusstva and well known for his watercolors associated with the 18th-century style. A frequent inspiration for Somov’s artworks were the characters, Marquise and Harlequin; depicted with painted...
When the Arts Meet: Art Inspired Album CoversMay 11, 2020
If music is the soul of an album then the art on the cover must be its body. The choice of artwork for an album cover is an important one because at a glance it conveys the style...
- 10 Times When Egon Schiele Mastered Hip Hop Hand Gestures
- How to Show Music in Paintings? Best Depictions of Music in Art
- 10 Female Artists Forgotten By Art History
- Painting of the Week: Claude Raguet Hirst, A Gentleman’s Table
- Mary Cassatt: The Story of the American Impressionist
- 10 Great Women Sculptors You Should Know
- The Masterpiece of the Week: Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright
- The Top 10 Strange and Bizarre Paintings
- The Most Important Day! Wedding Inspiration in Art
- True Tips for a Happier Life from the Miniatures of Reza Abbasi