Iconography of GaneshNovember 12, 2019
Ganesh is the patron God of writers and intellectuals, and arguably the most well-known of the Hindu Gods. He is worshipped across all sects of Hindus and also by Buddhists and Jains. Mantras and rituals dedicated to Ganesh are...
The Gift of Pomona – Pears in ArtNovember 11, 2019
Since ancient times the pear tree has been honoured as a sacred tree symbolising good health, happiness and prosperity. At this time of the year, farmers and growers are storing their precious harvest, laying down fruits to last...
Open to Influences – Arthur Hacker and his Mary with Many QualitiesOctober 12, 2019
Arthur Hacker was a painter of the late Victorian era. Painting a spectrum of subjects, everything from society portraiture, classical, religious and mythological works, to scenes of peasant life and landscape. His style is too ambiguous to define...
The Largest Mural on EarthSeptember 16, 2019
Early Fall, for students around the world, means one thing: back to school, back to writing papers, and exam preparations. For students of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), it means back to Ciudad Universitaria, the beautiful...
Lakshmi in Art. The Goddess of WealthSeptember 12, 2019
Lakshmi is a prominent Hindu deity who is also revered by Buddhists and Jains. Her eminent position in the Hindu pantheon emanates not only from her role as the wife of Vishnu (the preserver of the Hindu trinity) but...
Five Ways to Enjoy Your Vacation Time Inspired by Art HistoryAugust 3, 2019
The first half of the year ended. It is always interesting to breathe, take stock of what we have done so far, and prepare for the second semester. For this, it is important to rest and summer vacation...
Logomania – Words in ArtAugust 1, 2019
What do Jean-Michel Basquiat, The François Vase, Tracey Emin and Xu Bing have in common? Words! So, in the spirit of light summer reading, let’s have a romp through a collection of four unrelated artworks from around the...
- Few Comments On Courbet’s Origin of the World
- The Dreaming Youths: A Children’s Book That Parents Would Hide From Their Kids
- 11 Things You Might Not Know About Leonardo Da Vinci
- A Glimpse of Maritime Life in the Past in 7 Artworks
- Made for Reflection: Yayoi Kusama’s Narcissus Garden
- Kandinsky’s Inspiration? Nature, Spirituality and Other Artists
- Rembrandt’s Light—Dulwich Picture Gallery
- Painting of the Week: Mary Cassatt, Little Girl in a Blue Armchair
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)