Venus Vincit Omnia. Venus in ArtSeptember 9, 2019
Venus (also known by her Greek name Aphrodite) is the Goddess of Love. We’ve explored some famous Venus’ here. Next, Velázquez’s portrait put her onto the list of contenders for “Best Bums in Art.” Then there’s a discussion...
Meet the Four Powerful Women of BronzinoAugust 12, 2019
Agnolo di Cosimo (1503-1572), known as Bronzino was an Italian Mannerist painter. He lived and worked in Florence and became the court painter of Cosimo I de’ Medici. Bronzino trained with Pontormo, who influenced his style, but only...
Painting of the Week: Giovanni Battista Moroni, The TailorJuly 28, 2019
The Tailor is one of Giovanni Battista Moroni’s most famous portraits. Not only is it an astonishing work of art, but the sitter himself is quite handsome (he somewhat reminds me of Hugh Jackman, I’m not sure if...
A Special Appearance of Leonardo’s Saint JeromeJuly 13, 2019
A very special painting has just arrived in New York! To honor the five hundredth anniversary of the artist’s death, Leonardo da Vinci’s Saint Jerome Praying in the Wilderness is on loan from the Vatican to the Metropolitan...
10 Facts about The Last Supper by Leonardo You Should KnowJune 28, 2019
The legendary 15th century painter Leonardo da Vinci has an impressive legacy of artwork that leaves people astonished and awestruck even today. The maestro has left behind a huge number of artworks and sculptures that played a pivotal role...
Celebrating the Male Body in Renaissance FlorenceJune 17, 2019
The adoration of a male body was an inspiration for many artists and there’s no medium better suited to presenting the full beauty and complexity of it than sculpture. Today we’ll take a look at the works by...
Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute MoneyJune 9, 2019
There are many artists and paintings which I return to over and over again. Artists like Giotto, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Vermeer, van Eyck, Cassatt, Degas… The list goes on for what seems like forever. All of these artists, and...
- Few Comments On Courbet’s Origin of the World
- Made for Reflection: Yayoi Kusama’s Narcissus Garden
- The Dreaming Youths: A Children’s Book That Parents Would Hide From Their Kids
- 11 Things You Might Not Know About Leonardo Da Vinci
- A Glimpse of Maritime Life in the Past in 7 Artworks
- Painting of the Week: Mary Cassatt, Little Girl in a Blue Armchair
- Rembrandt’s Light—Dulwich Picture Gallery
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- An Art Advent Calendar of Nativities
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)