Julia Margaret Cameron, The Queen Of Pre-Raphaelite PhotographyJune 30, 2018
The English Victorian artist Julia Margaret Cameron (who was actually born in India and raised in France) was an irreplaceable representative of pre-Raphaelite photography. With a careful look, Julia produced portraits of deep sensitivity, marked by the drama she could...
Five Things Everyone Should Know About The VictoriansMay 28, 2018
What do we think of when we ponder the Victorian era? I for one almost always think of steam trains, the Victoria & Albert Museum, Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper, Charles Dickens, pea-soupers (thick London fog), public libraries,...
Get To Know The Cultural Legacy of Albert, Prince ConsortApril 12, 2018
The Royal Collection is one of the largest and most important art collections in the world, and one of the last great European royal collections to remain intact. A press release by the UK’s Royal Collection has marked...
Jewellery in Rossetti’s paintingsJanuary 26, 2018
Each jewellery in Rossetti’s paintings worn by his models wasn’t invented but copied from actual accessories from the artist’s collection. Pieces were carefully selected to complement the garment, color and other aesthetic features of the painting. Rossetti kept...
Symbolism in Beata Beatrix by Dante Gabriel RossettiJanuary 13, 2018
Rossetti started Beata Beatrix in 1863 after the death of his wife Elizabeth Siddal (1829-62). The painting illustrates the last chapter of Medieval Florentine writer Dante Alighieri (1265-1321)’s poem La Vita Nuova (1295). The female figure is of...
Legend of Proserpine by Dante Gabriel RossettiJanuary 5, 2018
Works of the famous Pre-Raphaelite artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti often resonate with his personal experiences in life and love. Especially, the lush portraits of the larger-than-life goddesses were often inspired by the women who had the biggest significance...
Women in Rossetti’s Life and ArtDecember 27, 2017
Anyone who is reminded of Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood will remember their style by the representation of a very particular type of women – the ones with angular facial features, prominent jawline, straight nose, voluminous hair – the type of...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art