Opera: A Brief History of the Total Work of ArtMarch 27, 2021
When we think of opera, art is not the first thing that comes to mind. Opera simply means “work” and it can sometimes seem over-the-top and old-fashioned to our modern tastes. However, when we consider that opera has...
Music and Art: Tanto Bravura!March 15, 2021
Music and art have long been closely tied together, each taking inspiration from the other (for better or for worse). Some remarkable music has been inspired by great works of art. For example, Italian composer Ottorino Respighi (1879-1936)...
Tormented Lovers, Sumptuous Players, and Other Examples of Guitarists in ArtJanuary 17, 2021
Musical instruments have always had a particular significance in paintings. Throughout the history of the depiction of music-making in art, the iconography of musical instruments ranged from their strict symbolism in Dutch 17th-century art to their appearance as...
Album Covers You Didn’t Know that Are Pure ArtJanuary 16, 2021
Every serious music fan will recognize the merits of the following albums for the developments in the history of contemporary music. But… will they know that they were also groundbreaking for the history of art as they documented how closely...
Top 10 Statues of Famous MusiciansJanuary 16, 2021
There are good, bad and ugly statues of the musical greats. Let’s take a look at ten sculptures of famous musicians, old and contemporary, that might spark your interest! Top 10 Statues of Famous Musicians Tupac Tupac Amaru...
The Sound of Colour: Music Inspired by Visual Art – Top 10January 15, 2021
Visual art has inspired songs from many different musical genres from classical to heavy metal, from opera to old crooners, from musicals to hip hop. Let’s take a whistle-stop tour of some of the best, and worst songs...
Wagnerism in Art: Painting Music or Listening to PicturesJanuary 14, 2021
What is Wagnerism? There are perhaps no other cultural movements in the world that we have named after one person. Wagnerism was admiration for Wagner’s musical oeuvre, which originated in the second half of the 19th century. The...
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Aubrey Beardsley: Sharp Blacks and Whites of the Victorian Era
- The Stunning Botanical Art of Barbara Regina Dietzsch
- 5 Swedish Pioneering Female Photographers You Should Get to Know
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- Wronged Royal Wives – British Scandal and Heartbreak Through the Centuries
- Janet Sobel: the Forgotten Female Artist Who Influenced Jackson Pollock
- Six Wives Of Henry VIII in Portraits
- Zdzisław Beksiński’s Passion for Music
- May the 4th Be with You—Archetypes in Star Wars and Art