Stories By Michel Rutten
It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of PanamarenkoJune 12, 2019
Panamarenko steals from science and uses it in his art. He has designed planes and submarines that at first sight are perfectly capable of functioning, but don’t be misled: they are unique works of art that...
Contemporary Art. Made in ChinaMay 20, 2019
Chinese art is booming. The country has been experiencing a major economic uplift for more than a decade and you can feel that in the art world too. China has more artists than ever, and they...
Wim Delvoye, When Art and Craftsmanship Meet Science and TechnologyApril 26, 2019
Have you ever seen a pig covered in an oriental carpet, a cement truck with Gothic motives or a silver DNA string with crucifixes? These are the utopian constructions of Wim Delvoye, a Belgian conceptual artist...
10 Portrait Paintings in Digital TimesMarch 28, 2019
Everyone wants to save and share great moments with friends. That’s why we take loads of pictures with our cameras and especially with our smartphones. Take a look at your own pictures and you will be...
East Meets West: The Landscape Paintings of Maki Na KamuraFebruary 8, 2019
My first encounter with Maki Na Kamura’s art left me perplexed with what exactly the German-based, Japanese artist was intending to show her viewers in her paintings. Although I was confused by the subject matter of...
Adriaen Brouwer, Painter of EmotionsJanuary 16, 2019
The work of the Flemish Baroque painter Adriaen Brouwer excels in innovation and daring. His folk scenes, often showing drunkards and smokers in pubs, in which he emphasized the emotions of the portrayed, were extremely rare...
- The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
- Fragment of a Floor Mosaic with a Personification of Ktisis
- The Beginning of a New World at Kröller-Müller Museum
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Van Gogh’s Sunflowers at the Van Gogh Museum
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Painting of the Week: Eduardo Paolozzi, I was a Rich Man’s Plaything
- Helmut Koller – Powerful, Symbolic and Abstract Art
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Painting of the Week: Flaming June by Sir Frederic Leighton