Vive la Belle Époque! Giovanni Boldini & Franca FlorioAugust 1, 2020
The history of the Belle Époque reveals many scandalous stories. Behind the elegant portraits are hidden the interesting lives of grand dames and adventurous gentlemen. Drawing inspiration from the article about John Singer Sargent’s Madame X, we decided...
Klimt’s Unknown Portraits You Would Never Guess Were HisJuly 15, 2020
Some of Klimt’s portraits have already gained the status of ‘iconic’, for example his portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer soaked in gold. Yet, before Klimt became the head of the Secession movement in Vienna in 1897, he painted in...
6 Highlights from the Alte Nationalgalerie in BerlinJune 21, 2020
Let’s explore some highlights from the Alte Nationalgalerie in Berlin, the preeminent collection of 19th century art in Germany. The gallery was founded in 1861 after a bequest by banker Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Wagener. He requested that the...
The Art of Adolf Hitler: Idyllic Paintings of a MonsterMay 27, 2020
Adolf Hitler is one of history’s most infamous dictators. After coming to power as Führer of Nazi Germany, he and his followers were responsible for the deaths of millions, not to mention the world’s greatest mass theft and...
Eid Al-Fitr — Islamic Prayer in ArtMay 23, 2020
Eid-al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting, and the first day of the Islamic month of Shawwal. The date is determined annually by the sighting of the moon and varies each year on the...
Negligee Fashion: Top 5 Gorgeous Homewear Outfits in ArtMay 8, 2020
Due to quarantine, homewear fashion is popular once again. But don’t think that boudoir fashion was unpopular before this. As art shows, from the second part of the mid 18th century, negligee fashion becomes mainstream! Because dressing up...
The Scandalous Nudes of Gustave CourbetMay 1, 2020
In the 19th century, French painter and rebel Gustave Courbet generated outrage with his scandalous nudes. What exactly was so scandalous about his paintings? Courbet had the audacity to paint (gasp) real women in the nude. Courbet and Realism Born...
- Edgar Degas and His Most Beautiful Ballerinas
- Fifty Shades of Dr. Pozzi
- HERE: Black in Rembrandt’s Time. Rembrandthuis Decolonizes
- Botero and His Characteristic Chubby Style: Boterism
- Autumn Moon in Japanese Woodblock Prints
- Where Is Van Gogh’s Biggest Art Collection Outside of Amsterdam? In the Kröller-Müller Museum!
- The Lifelike Death Fayum Portraits of Roman Egypt
- Allegories of Autumn – A Top Ten of Sensational Symbolic Artworks
- Painting of the Week: Firs Zhuravlev, A Fashionista Wife
- Nighthawks as Memes – Edward Hopper’s Best Renditions
- Traversing the Unseen: Interview with Multi-Media Artist Sara Osebold
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art
- The Forgotten Couturier Elsa Schiaparelli: Surrealism, Art and Revolutionary Fashion
- Kyra Nijinsky: Portrait of a Dancer
- “They Are Black Because I’m Not White” Portraits By Lynette Yiadom-Boakye