Observation As An Act Of Creation: The Art of LookingJuly 12, 2018
Observation as an act of creation — whenever you look, you’re painting a perception: Realizing that we are painters of our impressions is as empowering as liberating — and, like in every art form, there’s a way to...
Klimt’s Unknown Portraits You’d Never Guess Were HisMay 18, 2018
Some of Klimt’s portraits have already gained the status of ‘iconic’, for example his portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer soaked in gold. Yet, before Klimt became the head of the Secession movement in Vienna in 1897, he painted in...
Still lifes Too Vivid To Be Real- Imagined Realism in Luigi Lucioni’s ArtApril 20, 2018
For some people, realism is defined by painting what they see. For Luigi Lucioni, it meant painting what he thought was there. Luigi Lucioni’s art was an imagined realism, a reflection of his own perception of reality that...
What Art Has To Do With Politics: Gustave Courbet And The Paris CommuneApril 16, 2018
The painter Gustave Courbet who was the central figure of Realism, is known for his paintings in which he reveals the true lives of peasants and ordinary workers, at a time when the most well-accepted portraits were those...
George Tooker: A Purveyor of Modern Alienation and DespairMarch 15, 2018
When the American figurative painter, George Tooker died in 2011, The New York Times said of his 1956 painting, Government Bureau, “was inspired by his maddening encounter with the New York City Building Department. Most people who waste...
Immerse Yourself In The World Of the fantastic-realism paintings by Maria AntoMarch 13, 2018
March = Women’s History Month, and this is the next story about a remarkable, contemporary artist named Maria Anto (Maria Czarnecka). Anto was a late 20th-century Polish painter who created a series of fantastic-realism paintings depicting animals, people...
Visit Parisian Landmarks In These Ten Gorgeous PaintingsDecember 1, 2017
If you’ve ever been to Paris, you know that there’s nothing like seeing the city in person. However, that’s no reason not to get a taste of it with some help from great artists. So, let’s look at ten...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball Center