‘The Divine Sarah’ – Sarah Bernhardt, The First Artist SuperstarJune 9, 2018
While we are all familiar with celebrity culture and can recognise all of the Kardashians from their silhouettes, the idea of ‘celebrity’ is not a new one. In the 19th century, a notorious French actress, who became known...
Klimt’s Unknown Portraits You’d Never Guess Were HisMay 18, 2018
Some of Klimt’s portraits have already gained the status of ‘iconic’, for example his portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer soaked in gold. Yet, before Klimt became the head of the Secession movement in Vienna in 1897, he painted in...
Architecture or Jewelry? Josef Hoffmann’s Modern BroochesApril 19, 2018
As long as our cities, our houses, our rooms, our cupboards, our everyday appliances, our clothes, our jewels, as long as our language and feelings do not represent the spirit of our age in a purer, simpler and...
The Poster Manifest: Making Publicity Beautiful Again!April 3, 2018
Publicity is all about hijacking your thoughts and stealing attention, yet some posters prove that it can be done in a beautiful and mindful way. Wouldn’t it be great to be among art every day? Imagine going to...
Why is Klimt Famous?March 28, 2018
Gustav Klimt, born in Austria in 1862, is celebrated as one of the most valued artists in the history of art. But, why is Klimt famous? Why exactly do we value his work? And what role did he...
WW: The Viennese Design Brand You’ve Always Dreamt OfFebruary 28, 2018
Heard of Bauhaus? Yes. Heard of De Stijl? Yes. Heard of Wiener Werkstätte? No. No?! That’s the problem: I haven’t heard of WW either, even though they were the most fashionable and successful Viennese design brands ever. Why is...
Art Nouveau Explained in GIFsJune 7, 2017
The Art Nouveau Season on Europeana explores the depth and diversity of the influential art movement and features beautiful Art Nouveau jewellery, posters and much more. Below, you’ll find the highlights of the movement, illustrated by Art Nouveau...
- Edvard Munch’s Summer Nights
- The Flying Lovers, Bella and Marc Chagall
- Lakshmi in Art. The Goddess of Wealth
- Big Mr Sunshine: Portraits of Louis XIV
- Everything You Must Know About Suprematism and Kazimir Malevich
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Five Cool Modern And Contemporary Artworks In The Stedelijk Museum Collection
- 5 Fleshy Sculptures That Could Come To Life
- Few Comments On Courbet’s Origin of the World
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)