Pride Month: Andy Warhol’s Ladies and GentlemenJune 27, 2019
The club “The Gilded Grape”, situated in the no man’s land of Eighth Avenue and West 45th Street in New York City, was a hub of drag queens and black and Hispanic transvestites. In 1975, Bob Colacello, future...
Celebrating the Male Body in Renaissance FlorenceJune 17, 2019
The adoration of a male body was an inspiration for many artists and there’s no medium better suited to presenting the full beauty and complexity of it than sculpture. Today we’ll take a look at the works by...
Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball CenterJune 15, 2019
Let’s play a game: pick up any magazine from a U.S. newsstand and count how many people of color are featured. Now try playing with a magazine from the 1950’s. Depending on which magazine you chose, the difference...
Best Bums in Art HistoryJune 7, 2019
When we met up with Zuza, our CEO, we started chatting about what’s missing in our blog. We quickly came to a conclusion: we miss some hot and shapely buttocks. So, here they come, best bums in art...
Masking and Unmasking Women in ArtMay 10, 2019
Just a few weeks ago, Venice was transformed into a different world. It was carnival and people in masks were strolling through the city. There is a fascination with wearing a mask: one hides behind it and becomes...
What Should We Look Like? Ask The Three GracesMay 6, 2019
No matter which show we look at – ‘America’s Next Top Model’, ‘Germany’s Next Topmodel’ or ‘Make Me a Supermodel’ – we see the same scenario. A group of young women has to go through various tasks and...
Apollo and Daphne #metooApril 24, 2019
In Ovid’s poem Metamorphoses, boastful, arrogant God Apollo is mad with love for the virginal river nymph Daphne after being shot with a golden arrow by Eros. Daphne however wishes to remain unmarried and spurns him. A chase...
- 5 Paintings By Piet Mondrian You Wouldn’t Believe Were His
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- Why Is St Sebastian A Gay Icon?
- Nazi-looted Cézanne Painting To Be Shown In Switzerland
- Painting of the Week: Claude Monet, Meules
- Rembrandt And His Saddest Love Story
- 15 Cats in Art History Every Cat Lover Would Love
- The Great Art Robbery…Foiled
- Edward Burne-Jones a Pre-Raphaelite Visionary
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)