Painting of the Week: Diego Velázquez, The Rokeby VenusAugust 18, 2019
Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez (1599 – 1660) was the leading artist in the court of King Philip IV, and one of the most important painters of the Spanish Golden Age and European Baroque. And The Rokeby...
Bold Is Beautiful – a Guide to Spotting a Ravinder Reddy SculptureJuly 20, 2019
Ravinder Reddy (b. 1956) is a contemporary Indian sculptor. His sculptures of women are now some of the most recognisable examples of contemporary South Asian Art. He studied in Vadodara, India, and also in Britain. Since the 1980s his...
Pride Month: Andy Warhol’s Ladies and GentlemenJune 27, 2019
The club “The Gilded Grape”, situated in the no man’s land of Eighth Avenue and West 45th Street in New York City, was a hub of drag queens and black and Hispanic transvestites. In 1975, Bob Colacello, future...
Celebrating the Male Body in Renaissance FlorenceJune 17, 2019
The adoration of a male body was an inspiration for many artists and there’s no medium better suited to presenting the full beauty and complexity of it than sculpture. Today we’ll take a look at the works by...
Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball CenterJune 15, 2019
Let’s play a game: pick up any magazine from a U.S. newsstand and count how many people of color are featured. Now try playing with a magazine from the 1950’s. Depending on which magazine you chose, the difference...
Best Bums in Art HistoryJune 7, 2019
When we met up with Zuza, our CEO, we started chatting about what’s missing in our blog. We quickly came to a conclusion: we miss some hot and shapely buttocks. So, here they come, best bums in art...
Masking and Unmasking Women in ArtMay 10, 2019
Just a few weeks ago, Venice was transformed into a different world. It was carnival and people in masks were strolling through the city. There is a fascination with wearing a mask: one hides behind it and becomes...
- Everything You Should Know About Orientalism
- How Many Paintings From Louvre Shown On This Video Can You Recognize?
- Representation vs Reality: Artists Portrayed in Midnight in Paris. Part I
- Welcome to the Wonderful Circus of Dame Laura Knight!
- ALL Louvre Masterpieces From Beyonce & Jay-Z’s ‘APES**T’ Video Explained
- The Gift of Pomona – Pears in Art
- 15 Must-See Art Exhibitions in 2020
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Dystopian Surrealism of Zdzislaw Beksinski
- Painting of the Week: John Singer Sargent, Madame X