Stories By Maia Heguiaphal
Bodies And Erotic Art
Female Nude Codes in Painting From Giorgione’s Venus to Odalisques and OlympiasMay 5, 2020
Museums are filled with paintings of nude women. It is a very codified practice that has changed over the ages. Giorgione’s Sleeping Venus inspired many artists; and, through their representations of Venus, artists created a pattern....
When Romanticism Meets Eruptions: Volcanoes in PaintingsApril 13, 2020
Active volcanoes are great places to visit, but the danger of a potential eruption is always there. When some of them erupted with artists as viewers, it led to spectacular paintings. Those demonstrations of the power...
Art State of Mind
Bed Stories. The Comfiest Genre Scenes in PaintingsMarch 13, 2020
When you think about it, most of the events throughout our lives take place in bed. From birth to death, beds are imbued with the ultimate expression of life: Love. Indeed, what is more intimate than...
Jane Poupelet: Bronze, Paper and Commitment in WWIFebruary 4, 2020
Jane Poupelet was a French sculptress and illustrator most known for her involvement in World War I. There were not many female artists at the time so Jane Poupelet had to really stand out to succeed....
Simon Hantaï: A Journey to AbstractionJanuary 7, 2020
Simon Hantaï was a Franco-Hungarian painter whose work is marked by a reflection on painting techniques. In an evolution that carried his art to abstraction he crossed path with several art movements (Surrealism in particular), techniques,...
Painting of the Week: Edvard Munch, MadonnaOctober 27, 2019
The Norwegian painter Edvard Munch realized the colored lithograph Madonna in 1895. He is considered the head of Expressionism, therefore his Madonna is imbued with its characteristics. Expressionism, born in the early 20th century, expresses a...
Tina Modotti. A Woman of Her TimeSeptember 18, 2019
Tina Modotti is a photographer whose path parallels the great moments of 20th-century history. Her way of making art is a testimony to the world around her and her eye on it. Emigration to the States...
- Edward Hopper’s Drawings That Will Blow Your Mind
- The Erotic Potential of The Temptation of St. Anthony
- Tattoos – Ancient Ink to Modern Celebrity
- The Serene Beauty of a Pastoral Love: Daphnis and Chloé Paintings
- 10 Awesome Pairs of Shoes from the Victoria & Albert Collection
- Painting of the Week: Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, The Roses of Heliogabalus
- Dior AW 2020-21: Deconstructing Art References
- The Met Gala and Beyond: Fashion and Art
- Painting of the Week: Mary Cassatt, Little Girl in a Blue Armchair
- Painting of the Week: Henri Fantin-Latour, Still Life