Turquoise: Art, Culture and Myth of a GemstoneJuly 27, 2019
The bright blue-green Turquoise has been valued and revered for centuries by all the cultures around the world that had access to it. Several original sources of the stone are now long gone, having been mined to remove...
Painting of the Week: Miguel Covarrubias, The Mexican Street SceneJuly 14, 2019
An ordinary, rather empty street in the Mexican countryside. Two people. In the center, a woman with closed eyes, covered by a blue shawl. Pensive. Motionless. Behind her, a man heading towards us. Miguel Covarrubias draws us to...
Painting of the Week: José María Velasco Gómez, The Metlac RavineJuly 7, 2019
The Metlac Ravine is like a huge postcard sent in the past that captures the monumental nature of the southern, coastal state of Mexico-Veracruz and the speeding modernization of the country that took place in the second part...
VIA Arts Prize: Check if This Competition Is for You!June 25, 2019
A prestigious solo exhibition in London, a monetary prize and exposure to collectors interested in Latin American, Spanish or Portuguese art await those who dare to submit their works to the well established and renowned VIA Arts Prize....
I Put a Spell on You – Vodou ArtJune 19, 2019
Vodou is one of the most misunderstood belief systems in the world. Derided by the Church and popular culture, in fact it is a fascinating system of ethics, culture, agriculture, cosmology, folklore and medicine. Its foundations are in...
Discover South American Artists in MnBA, Rio de JaneiroMay 30, 2019
As the third piece in our series, I present my favorite paintings from the Museu Nacional de Belas Artes (MnBA) of Rio de Janeiro. There are works by Brazilian as well as European masters. The most interesting to...
The Art of Latin American LetteringApril 15, 2019
Latin American lettering is a legacy of craft-based traditions with a strong design and vibrant colors enhanced by an aesthetic with a rich indigenous identity and history. Cartelismo Popular Craft in the USA and Europe are different than in...
- Gustave Caillebotte’s Urban Intimacy
- Seven Haunting Town Paintings by Egon Schiele
- Just Married: Wedding Paintings Which Will Secure You A Happy Future Together
- Painting of the Week – In the Studio by William Merritt Chase
- Do You “Pronkstill”Even? Social Media Of The Dutch Golden Age
- Why Is St Sebastian A Gay Icon?
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Pornographic World of Egon Schiele’s Nudes (18+)
- Painting of the Week: Diego Velázquez, The Rokeby Venus
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know