Lygia Pape and Neo-Concretism: Art Is ExperienceDecember 27, 2020
Breaking with all the patterns of what had been art in Latin America up to then, Lygia Pape with Grupo Frente created a unique Brazilian artistic movement: Neo-concretism. Art is the manifestation of human history and man is the product...
Coca-Cola and the Explosive Art of Cildo MeirelesNovember 25, 2020
Protest Art is challenging and controversial. Political protest requires a focus, and protest art gives us a public space where we can have a conversation, with the artist and with each other. Truly great artists reflect back at...
The International Dispute over Montezuma’s TiaraNovember 25, 2020
2021 will be the year of a double anniversary for Mexicans, marking 200 years since liberation from Spanish dominion, and 500 years since the fall of Tenochtitlan, the Aztec city which gave foundation to modern Mexico City. The...
Frida Kahlo: The Suffering Behind Her PaintingsOctober 8, 2020
One of the most famous artists of the 20th century was Frida Kahlo. She became an international icon of our age, not only because of her paintings, but also because of her story, a story of independence, emancipation,...
Botero and His Characteristic Chubby Style: BoterismSeptember 23, 2020
Colombian artist, Fernando Botero, demonstrates how differently we can all view the same object. Although, Botero is known for creating thick fat looking figures in his art, he argues that his intention isn’t to represent weighty figures. Instead,...
Luchita Hurtado: Art and Life Over a CenturySeptember 6, 2020
Luchita Hurtado (November 28, 1920 – August 13, 2020) was an artist, photographer, poet, environmentalist, activist, feminist, fashion designer, and so much more over the course of a lifetime that spanned a century. Hurtado was born in Venezuela....
Photos of Famous Artists When They Were KidsJune 5, 2020
Sometimes it is hard to remember that famous artists were also children at one time, just like all of us. We have selected six of them for you to see how cute they were and to learn a...
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Aubrey Beardsley: Sharp Blacks and Whites of the Victorian Era
- The Stunning Botanical Art of Barbara Regina Dietzsch
- 5 Swedish Pioneering Female Photographers You Should Get to Know
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- Wronged Royal Wives – British Scandal and Heartbreak Through the Centuries
- Janet Sobel: the Forgotten Female Artist Who Influenced Jackson Pollock
- Six Wives Of Henry VIII in Portraits
- Zdzisław Beksiński’s Passion for Music
- May the 4th Be with You—Archetypes in Star Wars and Art