Watteau and the Mysteries of RococoDecember 13, 2017
Who was Watteau, one of the most well-known Rococo painters? There are very few documented facts about his life, which make his life and thus his art all the more mysterious. Are you ready for Watteau and the mysteries...
Farinelli- The Best Castrato In PortraitsNovember 20, 2017
What does ‘castrato’ mean? ‘Castrati’ (ital.pl) were male singers who had been castrated before puberty to retain the so-called ‘voce bianca’, that is unmutated voice, which therefore was neither female (soprano/alto), nor male (tenore/basso). They were most common...
Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun And The Women In Her PortraitsNovember 7, 2017
Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun and the women in her portraits is a famous reference to every art-lover. The French painter – also known as Madame Lebrun – is considered to have placed her style somewhere between that of a Rococo...
William Hogarth – Marriage à-la-modeOctober 17, 2017
The 18th century British painter William Hogarth created an insightful series of paintings about the arranged marriages of his times, entitled Marriage à-la-mode. William Hogarth – Marriage à-la-mode – takes us into the unholy world of love affairs...
Big Mr Sunshine: Portraits of Louis XIVOctober 3, 2017
September is a month of Louis XIV: he was born on the 5th and died on the 1st September. He was definitely a great arts patron but sadly a ‘slightly’ less great king. However, that didn’t stop him to...
Meet Madame de Pompadour, The Queen of Arts in PortraitsSeptember 16, 2017
Elvis Presley’s famous hairstyle was called after her, a French champagne glass is believed to have been modelled after her breast, and according to the legend, the ‘marquise cut’ diamond was commissioned to resemble the shape of her...
The Story Of Two Casanova Brothers, Who Happened To Be PaintersSeptember 13, 2017
When we hear Casanova we think of Giacomo the famous adventurer, who in his autobiography, Histoire de ma vie (Story of My Life) described often complicated and elaborate affairs with women that his name is now synonymous with “womanizer”....
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball Center