Painting of the Week: François Boucher, Madame de PompadourSeptember 1, 2019
François Boucher (1703 – 1770) was the most celebrated French painter of the 18th century. His painting Madame de Pompadour captures the beautiful mistress of King Louis XV. She is at the height of her courtly influence, and...
7 Things You Need To Know About Jean-Honoré FragonardApril 5, 2018
The first thing you need to know about Jean-Honoré Fragonard – he was a Rococo master. One can say that Fragonard was Rococo. The works of this French painter and printmaker are pure exuberance and hedonism which combined...
Tiepolo: The Last Venetian MasterJanuary 29, 2018
Mainland Italy is a perfect country for frescoe production since it is dominated by a dry climate which preserves frescoes very well. Venice, however, is too damp for that. Is that a reason why Venetian painters came up with...
The Veiled Christ: Art or Alchemy?January 17, 2018
In the nave of the Sansevero Chapel in Naples is the Veiled Christ by Giuseppe Sanmartino. This is a sculpture of Jesus after his crucifixion, lying on his back, covered with a thin shroud edged with intricate embroidery....
Watteau and the Mysteries of RococoDecember 13, 2017
Who was Watteau, one of the most well-known Rococo painters? There are very few documented facts about his life, which make his life and thus his art all the more mysterious. Are you ready for Watteau and the mysteries...
Farinelli- The Best Castrato In PortraitsNovember 20, 2017
What does ‘castrato’ mean? ‘Castrati’ (ital.pl) were male singers who had been castrated before puberty to retain the so-called ‘voce bianca’, that is unmutated voice, which therefore was neither female (soprano/alto), nor male (tenore/basso). They were most common...
Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun And The Women In Her PortraitsNovember 7, 2017
Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun and the women in her portraits is a famous reference to every art-lover. The French painter – also known as Madame Lebrun – is considered to have placed her style somewhere between that of a Rococo...
- Everything You Should Know About Orientalism
- How Many Paintings From Louvre Shown On This Video Can You Recognize?
- Representation vs Reality: Artists Portrayed in Midnight in Paris. Part I
- Welcome to the Wonderful Circus of Dame Laura Knight!
- ALL Louvre Masterpieces From Beyonce & Jay-Z’s ‘APES**T’ Video Explained
- The Gift of Pomona – Pears in Art
- 15 Must-See Art Exhibitions in 2020
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Dystopian Surrealism of Zdzislaw Beksinski
- Painting of the Week: John Singer Sargent, Madame X