Garlands of Greatness for the Astonishing 20th Century Chinese Artist Zhang DaqianJune 20, 2018
Zhang Daqian is considered the greatest Chinese artist in the last 500 years. If this is true, then what in fact makes Zhang Daqian so important? This short introduction can only sketch a brief outline of the artist’s...
Qi Baishi, China’s Master of the Ordinary in an Extraordinary WayMay 26, 2018
Qi Baishi, is probably the most unlikely person to become one of the highest valued artists in the world, right next to Andy Warhol and Picasso, but he is. It’s been sixty-one years since his death in 1957...
Let’s Sing Praises to Song Dynasty Genius Artist Ma YuanApril 18, 2018
There’s more to the paintings of Ma Yuan than meets the eye. Ma Yuan, (1160-1225) was a Southern Song Dynasty, Chinese painter from an illustrious family of academy artists. He lived during a cultural zenith when Chinese achievements...
Meet Kun Can – Chinese Artist, One Of The “Four Great Monk Painters”March 29, 2018
A Chinese painter and Buddhist monk who lived 1612-1674, Kun Can was known as one of the ‘Four Great Monk Painters’ of the early Qing Dynasty. As a youth Kun Can studied the classics and prepared himself for...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball Center