Painting of the Week: Fan Kuan, Travelers Among Mountains & StreamsJanuary 31, 2021
The Song Dynasty ruled China for over three centuries from 960 to 1279. During this time, Song China was the most technologically advanced society in the world. Its society invented the magnetic compass, movable type printing, paper money,...
Kiyohara Yukinobu: Sublime Female Painter of the Kano SchoolOctober 24, 2020
Not many of us have heard of Kiyohara Yukinobu, but we probably should have. She was a Japanese painter in the early Edo period (1603-1868) and one of the most talented artists of the Kano school. The Tale...
Artist Interview: Anita Yan Wong and Lingnan PaintingAugust 19, 2020
Lingnan style guo hua is an early 19th century style of Chinese painting, from Lingnan in the Southern region of China. Its origins are a revolutionary mix of new knowledge from both Japanese painting and Western art. Professor Anita...
Modern Sports Played in Ancient ChinaJuly 22, 2020
The history of Chinese sports can be traced back over thousands of years, revealing many achievements, innovations, and surprises. We think about some of the sports as modern, however, they were played in ancient China. For example, the...
Chinese New Year – the Art of CelebrationJanuary 25, 2020
Imagine a household celebrating the Chinese New Year where children share a home and joyfully play together. They have different kinds of toys to play with; two children play with a puppet hanging from a pole, like out...
The Growing Terracotta ArmyJanuary 22, 2020
When people mention the terracotta army, the first thing that comes to mind is the phrase “the eighth wonder of the world”. It is a symbol of China’s thousands of years of culture. The First Emperor’s terracotta army...
Chinese Traditional Painting: Interesting StoriesJanuary 2, 2020
Traditional Chinese paintings are known for their distinctive style. When did Chinese painting begin and how to read it? What did it mean for the artists? Did they simply respond to and try to capture the world around...
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Lise Tréhot. The Mysterious Beauty from Renoir’s Paintings
- The State Russian Museum Highlights
- Cute Babies in Art: From Rubens to Cassatt
- The Bust of Nefertiti: Ancient Masterpiece or Genius Hoax?
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- ALL Art In BoJack Horseman We Could Find Gathered In One Place (6th Season Update)
- Madame de Pompadour: The Queen of Arts in Portraits
- 4 Artists Who Suffered from Mental Illness (and How It Affected Their Art)
- 5 Mythical Love Stories Depicted in Art