Masterpiece of the Week: Mithras Slaying the BullJuly 18, 2021
Mithras Slaying the Bull is a compilation of the entire religious and symbolic images of Mithraism. It reflects promised immortality and personal salvation. It helps followers seek inner peace and cosmic redemption. It helps souls’ journeys through the...
A Tale of Revenge and Justice: The Oresteia in PaintingsJuly 13, 2021
Marcus Aurelius, the last of the five good Roman emperors once wrote: “The best way to avenge yourself is not to become as they are” (Meditations 6.6). When one reads Aeschylus’ well-known trilogy, Oresteia, it will become clear...
Behold Dibutades, the Greek Inventress of Painting!July 6, 2021
Long ago in the city of Corinth in Ancient Greece, a young maid traced the contour of her lover’s face on the wall. The man was leaving on a long trip. So, she figured out a way to...
Painting of the Week: Judgement Scene from Book of the Dead of HuneferMay 9, 2021
Death continues to be one of the greatest fears of human society. Since the dawn of recorded history through the centuries of plague, pestilence, and meeting our own modern global pandemic, death has always been a worry. It...
Egypt and Berlin’s Icon: The Bust of Queen NefertitiMay 6, 2021
The bust of Queen Nefertiti housed in Berlin’s Neues Museum is one of Ancient Egypt’s most famous works of art. A prime example of ancient artistry, this icon has been called “the most beautiful woman in the world”....
Portrayal of an Abandoned Hero: PhiloctetesApril 16, 2021
How would you feel if your friends abandoned you on an uninhabited island with a limited amount of food and no shelter just because you were injured? An island where wild animals lurk at night. The only things...
Mysterious Female Nude Statuettes of the Parthian EmpireApril 13, 2021
Several female nude statuettes have been unearthed from the subterranean landscape of ancient Iraq. Rendered in the Greco-Babylonian style, these sensual, stone beauties captivate all who lay eyes on them. Yet their true meaning remains a mystery, tied...
- Language of Flowers: Hidden Messages in Flora
- There Were Really Hot Guys in Ancient Greece: the Barberini Faun
- The State Russian Museum Highlights
- Watch Julianne Moore as Famous Works of Art
- Sisterhood in Art: Portraying Sisters
- Living in the Shadow – Marie and Peder Severin Krøyer
- Online Art Travels: An Ultimate Banksy City Guide for 2021
- Her Life and Her Museum: Isabella Stewart Gardner
- Robert S. Duncanson: African-American Painter in the Spotlight
- Painting of the Week: Sea Watchers by Edward Hopper