The Ancient Greek Kouros and KoreJanuary 14, 2019
Classical Greek statues depicting male and female bodies are iconic, legendary and set the standards for numerous artists and art movements to come. Preceding the Classical Era, was the Archaic (7th-5th c. BCE) during which statues of young...
Blues of Bablyon: The Ishtar GateDecember 7, 2018
Babylon, the ancient Mesopotamian city (modern day Iraq) existed from 18th century to 6th century BCE. Since that time its legend has generated many myths – the Hanging Gardens, the Tower of Babel, and biblical interpretations added to...
The A to Z of Ancient Greek Pottery Terms Pt 2October 25, 2018
And so the saga continues in our adventures of learning about Ancient Greek pottery! You will probably have noticed that I chose to skip a few letters of the alphabet in this article and the previous one on...
Egypt and Berlin’s Icon: The Bust of Queen NefertitiOctober 16, 2018
The bust of Queen Nefertiti housed in Berlin’s Neues Museum is one of Ancient Egypt’s most famous works of art. A prime example of ancient artistry, this icon has been called “the most beautiful woman in the world”....
Some Things to Know about the Ancient Greek Stylistic PeriodsOctober 3, 2018
There are four general Ancient Greek stylistic periods. Different, note-worthy styles, influences from invading cultures and their lasting effects on the art of Ancient Greece characterize each period. *Below is a generalization of the major Ancient Greek stylistic periods.*...
Persephone and the Pomegranate: Art in Ancient GreeceSeptember 24, 2018
How has a simple, yet beautiful fruit, been the centre of attention throughout history? The pomegranate is symbolic in many cultures and religions, not just art in Ancient Greece. But for the purpose of this post, the intersection...
The Parthenon Mythology and ArchitectureSeptember 17, 2018
Mythology is a pretty broad topic in Ancient Greek history. And even more so is the use of mythological figures in Ancient Greek art. From pottery to sculptures, we can see that the Ancient Greeks were inspired by...
- Gustave Caillebotte’s Urban Intimacy
- Seven Haunting Town Paintings by Egon Schiele
- Just Married: Wedding Paintings Which Will Secure You A Happy Future Together
- Painting of the Week – In the Studio by William Merritt Chase
- Do You “Pronkstill”Even? Social Media Of The Dutch Golden Age
- Why Is St Sebastian A Gay Icon?
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- The Pornographic World of Egon Schiele’s Nudes (18+)
- Painting of the Week: Diego Velázquez, The Rokeby Venus
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know