Rainbows for the NHS and Damien HirstMay 11, 2020
Since lockdown came into effect in the UK, people have been putting rainbows on display to show love for key-workers. An inherent sign of hope, these rainbows are bringing joy as well as art to the streets. Damien...
The Art of Domesticity: Art Inspired by the HomeApril 23, 2020
In times where we must spend more time at home than usual, we journey through art inspired by domestic life over the centuries. As the lockdown lifestyle continues to prevail for many of us, it is easy to...
David Hockney – iPad Images of Springtime from QuarantineApril 7, 2020
David Hockney is in lock-down in Normandy and spends most days in the garden, drawing the spring awakening on his iPad. In a series of letters written to the BBC correspondent he shares how he feels his images...
Disney Figures in Art that Make You Think TwiceOctober 25, 2019
Who doesn’t like Disney characters? They are cute, sweet, and adorable. They also represent an ideal image and simplify our world view. That’s fine in children’s movies, but some artists use Disney characters to portray their criticism of...
Art Afterpieces. How Internet Didn’t Come up with Anything NewJuly 3, 2019
Playing with the greatest masterpieces by adding to them contemporary elements, like inserting a smartphone into a hand of a Pre-Raphaelite lady, might seem an invention made a couple of years ago. Well, it is not. Ward Kimball,...
Pride Month: Andy Warhol’s Ladies and GentlemenJune 27, 2019
The club “The Gilded Grape”, situated in the no man’s land of Eighth Avenue and West 45th Street in New York City, was a hub of drag queens and black and Hispanic transvestites. In 1975, Bob Colacello, future...
Roy Lichtenstein Multiple Visions at MUDECJune 24, 2019
“Everyone knows me for comics and dots” Lichtenstein once said to Gianni Mercurio, the curator of Roy Lichtenstein Multiple Visions. For sure Roy Lichtenstein is known as one of the most important figures in 20th century art and...
- The Pre-Raphaelites and the Wombat
- Mothers in Art: DailyArt’s Celebration of Mother’s Day
- Giovanna Garzoni – A Baroque Painter Inspires an Art Challenge
- 5 Artists Who Likely Suffered From Syphilis
- Punk in Art: Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and Cyberpunk
- Painting of the Week: Henri Rousseau, The Football Players
- Four Women Impressionists You Shouldn’t Forget
- Timeless Beauty: Ancient Greek Athletes in Art
- The Dreamlike, Queer Femme Paintings of Marie Laurencin
- Art History Reveals: Women in Sport