Punk in Art: Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and CyberpunkJuly 28, 2020
There are many artistic styles and genres not recognized by the official art world. In some cases, the artists of a certain genre struggle for acknowledgement. Their works might be technically excellent but for one reason or another...
VIPs… or VICs (Very Important Colors)? Iconic Hues in Art HistoryJuly 11, 2020
Every person probably dreams of leaving a legacy to the world. For artists this is a central goal and they try to do it through their masterpieces of course. Some people even went further though… They gave their...
What is a Wunderkammer? Best Cabinets of CuriositiesJuly 6, 2020
The characteristic of arousing surprise for the observer is typical for the so-called Wunderkammer or Cabinet of Curiosities. These are real rooms of wonders where, in an undifferentiated mix of art and science, of naturalia and artificialia, the...
Max Ernst and Birds: A Relationship Explained Through PaintingsJuly 2, 2020
Max Ernst (1891–1976) was a prolific German avant-garde artist. He was a pioneer in the early 20th century movements of Dada and Surrealism and developed a number of inventive artistic techniques. Ernst had the ability to make the...
10 Cocktails Inspired by Art for Artsy DrinkingJune 12, 2020
Most of us have now plenty of time to take some “me time” and enjoy a long bubble bath, read a good book, work out, or perhaps just contemplate the works of our favorite artists. However, if the...
The Curious Lure and Strange Beauty of Ancient Anatomical VotivesJune 12, 2020
Eerie, mysterious, and fascinating, ancient anatomical votives represent literal parts of people’s past. When most people think of a votive object, a beautiful statue might come to mind, not an anonymous pair of ears or a woman’s uterus....
Entertain Us! 10 Funniest DailyArt Magazine ArticlesJune 1, 2020
We have all been stuck at home for a few weeks now. The terror of the first weeks is gone, the excitement of inventing things to cook from canned foods is well past us. If you have gotten...
- The Erotic Potential of The Temptation of St. Anthony
- The Serene Beauty of a Pastoral Love: Daphnis and Chloé Paintings
- Tattoos – Ancient Ink to Modern Celebrity
- 10 Awesome Pairs of Shoes from the Victoria & Albert Collection
- Why Babies in Medieval Paintings Look Like Ugly Old Men
- Dior AW 2020-21: Deconstructing Art References
- A Capri Romance: John Singer Sargent and Rosina Fererra
- Rethinking the Word “Muse” in the Arts
- The Met Gala and Beyond: Fashion and Art
- Real Gray’s Anatomy. Medical Illustration from an Artistic Genre to a Profession