Franz Marc: The Painter Who Loved HorsesApril 5, 2021
The German Expressionist movement had many faces. One of the most interesting of them was that of the painter Franz Marc. Marc looked to the natural world as an antidote to modern life, from which he felt increasingly alienated....
4 Highly Talented Female Expressionists of the 20th CenturyMarch 2, 2021
It always feels amazing to learn about new artists, especially the ones that produced Expressionist works. Personally, as a fan of Expressionist art, I recently discovered female Expressionist artists that contributed to 20th-century art with their excellent work....
Käthe Kollwitz: Germany’s Greatest Female ArtistMarch 2, 2021
Käthe Kollwitz (1867 -1945) was one of Germany’s greatest artists and she holds the distinction of being the only woman artist to make it into Ernst Gombrich’s The Story of Art. In 1920 she became the first female member...
Circus and Jazz of Henri MatisseDecember 30, 2020
Henri Matisse (1869–1954) was a French artist famous for his use of colour. The Circus (below) is a colour stencil piece from Matisse’s book Jazz. Only 350 copies were made of the book so you might not have seen...
10 Masterpieces for Boosting Good Feng Shui in Your HouseDecember 12, 2020
Feng shui is a millenary art which focuses on the flow of energy. It is most of the time related to furniture and decoration, in ancient times it was a very popular activity. Here we have chosen ten masterpieces...
Expressionism: Artists, Paintings, and Everything You Need to Know About the Art MovementNovember 14, 2020
Expressionism developed the ideas of Post-Impressionism and became another prominent trend in the history of art. Some of its most remarkable representatives were Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Vasyl Kandinsky, Franz Marc, Paul Klee, August Macke, Emil Nolde, and Oskar...
Michael West, Woman Artist Excluded from the Ab-E GangNovember 12, 2020
The American art world in the era of the post war boom of Abstract Expressionism was definitely male-oriented. And the career of Corinne Michelle (Michael) West was its victim. She could have been famous. But she was a...
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Everything You Must Know About All Michelangelo’s Pietàs
- AI in Art: What Does It Mean?
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- Met Gala: When Art Meets High Fashion on the Beige Carpet (2021 Update!)
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art
- CHEAP: When Art Meets Activism – Interview with the Co-founder Sara Manfredi
- A Unique Artist Encounter: When Ara Güler Met Pablo Picasso
- Peek into the Court: Stunning Qajar Portraits
- Van Gogh Museum Staff Picks