Käthe Kollwitz: Germany’s Greatest Female ArtistMarch 2, 2021
Käthe Kollwitz (1867 – 1945) was one of Germany’s greatest artists and she holds the distinction of being the only woman artist to make it into Ernst Gombrich’s The Story of Art. In 1920 she became the first female...
Circus and Jazz of Henri MatisseDecember 30, 2020
Henri Matisse (1869–1954) was a French artist famous for his use of colour. The Circus (below) is a colour stencil piece from Matisse’s book Jazz. Only 350 copies were made of the book so you might not have seen...
10 Masterpieces for Boosting Good Feng Shui in Your HouseDecember 12, 2020
Feng shui is a millenary art which focuses on the flow of energy. It is most of the time related to furniture and decoration, in ancient times it was a very popular activity. Here we have chosen ten masterpieces...
Expressionism: Artists, Paintings, and Everything You Need to Know About the Art MovementNovember 14, 2020
Expressionism developed the ideas of Post-Impressionism and became another prominent trend in the history of art. Some of its most remarkable representatives were Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Vasyl Kandinsky, Franz Marc, Paul Klee, August Macke, Emil Nolde, and Oskar...
Michael West, Woman Artist Excluded from the Ab-E GangNovember 12, 2020
The American art world in the era of the post war boom of Abstract Expressionism was definitely male-oriented. And the career of Corinne Michelle (Michael) West was its victim. She could have been famous. But she was a...
Berthe Weill: The Unknown Gallerist of the Avant-GardeOctober 22, 2020
Do you know the name of the first female modern art gallery owner? Berthe Weill was born in 1865 and died in 1951 in Paris but nowadays she seems to be erased from memory. In fact, the B.Weill...
The Scary Dr. Caligari: German Expressionism and Horror MoviesMay 15, 2020
Expressionism is a movement with many branches. It inspired many different artists and each one of them embraced it differently. Above all, it encouraged experimentation with art. The goal was no longer to imitate nature. Rather, it was...
- DailyArt Magazine Turns Four! Our Impressions of the Impressionists
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- Divine Beauty of Landscapes: California on Canvas
- 5 Best DailyArt Magazine Articles As Selected By Our Readers
- Happy Birthday Gustav Klimt! 5 Things You Need To Know About Him
- 15 Cats in Art History Every Cat Lover Would Love
- Pure Happiness, Fun, and Joy in Jan Steen’s Paintings
- The Unbelievable Story of Killer Rabbits in Medieval Manuscripts
- Cheer Me Up! 10 Funniest DailyArt Magazine Articles Ever
- The Dutch Master of Selfies: Rembrandt’s 6 Magnificent Self-Portraits