Painting of the Week: Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Street, DresdenMay 5, 2019
The swirling crowds and electric lights of the modern city. This is the subject of today’s painting of the week, created by one of the greatest German Expressionists, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner. Kirchner was a member of the group...
Die Brücke’s Magician: Otto MuellerMay 3, 2019
Do we talk enough about Die Brücke? Its importance for the development of modern art is undoubted. But lost between various movements and -isms that we encounter when we read or talk about the art of the beginnings...
Käthe Kollwitz: Germany’s Greatest Female ArtistApril 18, 2019
Käthe Kollwitz (1867 – 1945) was one of Germany’s greatest artists and she holds the distinction of being the only woman artist to make it into Ernst Gombrich’s The Story of Art. In 1920 she became the first female...
Remembering Alma ThomasFebruary 15, 2019
Abstract Expressionism was a movement dominated by male artists. Painters such as Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning have held centre stage as the stars of the movement, leaving many female abstract expressionists in their shadows...
The Dreaming Youths: A Children’s Book That Parents Would Hide From Their KidsDecember 5, 2018
As many other Oskar Kokoschka’s works, also this one met with mixed feelings from the public. In the end, it was meant to be a children’s picture-book, but its images were penetrated with sensuality and eroticism, too ‘adult’...
You Give Me Fever: Egon Schiele’s Orange ObsessionAugust 25, 2018
I’m sure that our dedicated readers and Instagram followers have already realized that recently we feature Egon Schiele and the Viennese Leopold Museum quite a lot. Today is going to be no different, since I did too visit...
Seven Haunting Town Paintings by Egon SchieleJuly 2, 2018
Austrian artist Egon Schiele is best known for his shamelessly erotic and frank representations of the human form. But alongside his startlingly revealing portraits and raw nude studies lie haunting journeys into fragile existence via town paintings and landscapes. His expressive, vulnerable...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art