Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting OverJune 11, 2019
Lee Krasner’s name has become much more widely known in recent years. Often referred to as the wife of Jackson Pollock, she was, of course, a great artist in her own right. The Barbican Gallery in London is...
Natalia Goncharova First Time in LondonJune 6, 2019
We couldn’t have asked for a better birthday gift for Natalia Goncharova: a month before her birthday Tate Modern in London is presenting the first retrospective of her work in the UK ever. The exhibition opens on June, 6th. The date...
Edvard Munch: Love and Angst in British MuseumMay 23, 2019
“We do not want pretty pictures to be hung on drawing-room walls. We want… an art that arrests and engages. An art of one’s innermost heart.” – Edvard Munch British Museum in cooperation with Munch Museum in Oslo...
Painting of the Week: Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Street, DresdenMay 5, 2019
The swirling crowds and electric lights of the modern city. This is the subject of today’s painting of the week, created by one of the greatest German Expressionists, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner. Kirchner was a member of the group...
Die Brücke’s Magician: Otto MuellerMay 3, 2019
Do we talk enough about Die Brücke? Its importance for the development of modern art is undoubted. But lost between various movements and -isms that we encounter when we read or talk about the art of the beginnings...
Käthe Kollwitz: Germany’s Greatest Female ArtistApril 18, 2019
Käthe Kollwitz (1867 – 1945) was one of Germany’s greatest artists and she holds the distinction of being the only woman artist to make it into Ernst Gombrich’s The Story of Art. In 1920 she became the first female...
Remembering Alma ThomasFebruary 15, 2019
Abstract Expressionism was a movement dominated by male artists. Painters such as Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning have held centre stage as the stars of the movement, leaving many female abstract expressionists in their shadows...
- The Black And White World Of Felix Vallotton’s Prints
- Kandinsky’s World of Russian Fairy Tales
- Autumn Moon In Japanese Woodblock Prints
- The Hudson River School: Celebrating Nature, American-Style
- When Romanticism Meets Eruptions: Volcanoes in Paintings
- The Best of Leda And A Swan Paintings
- Painting of the Week: Giotto, Ognissanti Madonna
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Open to Influences – Arthur Hacker and his Mary with Many Qualities