Barnett Newman, A Pillar of Abstract ExpressionismApril 28, 2021
When one thinks of Abstract Expressionism, the name of Barnett Newman pops up immediately. That is only fair since he is a pillar of the movement and his contribution to contemporary art is huge. Newman was a very...
Janet Sobel: the Forgotten Female Artist Who Influenced Jackson PollockApril 27, 2021
Although almost entirely erased from the canon of Abstract Expressionist art, Janet Sobel (born Jennie Olechovsky) is now slowly gaining recognition as one of the original creators of the “drip painting” technique that many critics have previously associated...
Abstract Expressionism 101: Everything You Need To KnowApril 27, 2021
Abstract Expressionism is an art movement that emerged in the USA in the 1940s and 1950s. Some of its most prominent artists are Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, Willem de Kooning, and Barnett Newman. Even though it is not...
Painting of the Week: Georgia O’Keeffe, Jack-in-the-Pulpit No. IVMarch 14, 2021
Georgia O’Keeffe is one of the greatest female artists of the early 20th century. She could also be considered the mother of American Modernism. She was a pioneer in reducing subjects to their purest colours and forms to...
Review: The Colour of Abstraction at Grove Square GalleriesDecember 23, 2020
The latest exhibition at London’s Grove Square Galleries, The Colour of Abstraction, is a vibrant group presentation of colorful abstract art. Here we meet the work five exciting young international artists which underlines the exhibition’s subtitle – ‘New...
The Pros and Cons of Maggie Hambling’s Mary WollstonecraftDecember 21, 2020
Maggie Hambling CBE (b. 1945) is a British artist who is rarely seen without a cigarette. She paints beautiful land and seascapes, has several fascinating portraits at the National Gallery (where she was the first artist in residence...
10 Masterpieces for Boosting Good Feng Shui in Your HouseDecember 12, 2020
Feng shui is a millenary art which focuses on the flow of energy. It is most of the time related to furniture and decoration, in ancient times it was a very popular activity. Here we have chosen ten masterpieces...
- Art from Horror Movies: Japanese Woodblocks of Tsukioka Yoshitoshi
- The Night — Ten Beautiful Nocturne Paintings
- Eyewitness to Space: The NASA Art Program
- 5 Best DailyArt Magazine Articles As Selected By Our Readers
- Cheer Me Up! 10 Funniest DailyArt Magazine Articles Ever
- Diego Rivera’s Life in Self-Portraits
- Painting Of The Week – John Everett Millais, Ophelia
- Everything You Should Know About Islamic Art
- History of Medicine in Art. Collection of Artworks at Wellcome Library in London
- Masterpiece of the Week: Mithras Slaying the Bull