Remembering Alma ThomasFebruary 15, 2019
Abstract Expressionism was a movement dominated by male artists. Painters such as Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning have held centre stage as the stars of the movement, leaving many female abstract expressionists in their shadows...
An Unusual Comparison: Amish Quilts and Modern ArtJanuary 23, 2019
Many people would never expect to see an Amish quilt and a painting by an American abstract artist displayed together. However, since the 1970s, visual similarities have been recognised between the two. This has left us to wonder...
Epic Abstraction: An Enhanced PerspectiveJanuary 17, 2019
‘Epic Abstraction: Pollock to Herrera’ is an ongoing exhibition from the Metropolitan Museum of Art that opened on December 17, 2018. The exhibition is on the second floor, in the Lila Acheson Wallace Wing, occupying galleries 917-925. Many...
Victor Hugo’s Ink Abstractions: An Author’s Hidden Talent RevealedJanuary 8, 2019
French author, poet, and dramatist Victor Hugo is known worldwide for his written work, namely novels such as Les Misérables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Unbeknownst to many, though, Hugo was also quite the visual artist, producing...
Dream-like Artworks: Minnie Evans’ Divine InspirationAugust 14, 2018
Folk Art, Surrealist, Visionary, Americana, call it what you will. Minnie Evans’ (1892-1987) dream-like artworks speak of another world; a world which the artist believed God had given her insight to see. The North Carolina native’s oeuvre ranges...
A Story About How Louise Nevelson Constructed Her Sculptures And Her PastAugust 3, 2018
Nevelson (1899 – 1988) is recognized as one of America’s most innovative sculptors. Her most famous outsized sculptures were made of cast-off wood parts (basically street throwaways) which were transformed into completely different objects by monochromatic spray paint....
Lucio Fontana and Venice You Have Never KnownJuly 26, 2018
Even if you haven’t been to Venice, you must know it quite well from millions of picturesque or picturesque-ish photos flooding Instagram and Facebook especially during summer time; or from Impressionist paintings (if not, have a look at...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness
- Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball Center