Stories By Heather Johnson
Mormon Art: Painting the GospelMay 2, 2019
The Church of the Latter Day Saints (also known as the LDS or Mormon Church) was founded by Joseph Smith in the 19th Century and currently has over 12 million members across the world. It has...
Remembering Alma ThomasFebruary 15, 2019
Abstract Expressionism was a movement dominated by male artists. Painters such as Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning have held centre stage as the stars of the movement, leaving many female abstract expressionists in...
An Unusual Comparison: Amish Quilts and Modern ArtJanuary 23, 2019
Many people would never expect to see an Amish quilt and a painting by an American abstract artist displayed together. However, since the 1970s, visual similarities have been recognised between the two. This has left us...
Vincent van Gogh’s Last Painting?December 12, 2018
In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh painted one of his best-known artworks, Wheatfield with Crows. The painting is on display in The Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, and has long been thought of as his last painting...
- 15 Things You May Not Know About The Night Watch by Rembrandt
- Crash Course in Impressionism – Courtauld Impressionists: From Manet to Cézanne
- 8 Things Everyone Should Know About Joaquin Sorolla
- Everything You Must Know About Suprematism and Kazimir Malevich
- Painting of the Week: Mary Cassatt, Little Girl in a Blue Armchair
- The Wounded Angel By Hugo Simberg
- Not All There – The Enigmatic Sculptures Of Bruno Catalano
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- The Dystopian Surrealism of Zdzislaw Beksinski
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)