Stories By Heather Johnson
Mormon Art: Painting the GospelMay 2, 2019
The Church of the Latter Day Saints (also known as the LDS or Mormon Church) was founded by Joseph Smith in the 19th Century and currently has over 12 million members across the world. It has...
Remembering Alma ThomasFebruary 15, 2019
Abstract Expressionism was a movement dominated by male artists. Painters such as Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning have held centre stage as the stars of the movement, leaving many female abstract expressionists in...
An Unusual Comparison: Amish Quilts and Modern ArtJanuary 23, 2019
Many people would never expect to see an Amish quilt and a painting by an American abstract artist displayed together. However, since the 1970s, visual similarities have been recognised between the two. This has left us...
Vincent van Gogh’s Last Painting?December 12, 2018
In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh painted one of his best-known artworks, Wheatfield with Crows. The painting is on display in The Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, and has long been thought of as his last painting...
- 5 Paintings By Piet Mondrian You Wouldn’t Believe Were His
- Artemisia Gentileschi: The Rape Survivor And Her Revenge
- Painting of the Week: Claude Monet, Meules
- Why Is St Sebastian A Gay Icon?
- Rembrandt And His Saddest Love Story
- Nazi-looted Cézanne Painting To Be Shown In Switzerland
- 15 Cats in Art History Every Cat Lover Would Love
- 6 Rooms from Famous Paintings Brought to Real Life
- The Great Art Robbery…Foiled
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)