Stories By Alexandra Kiely
The Beautiful Portraiture of Cecilia BeauxJanuary 9, 2018
Cecilia Beaux (1855-1942) is the most important American society painter that you probably have never heard of. She was a popular artist and a highly-respected teacher, but she isn’t well known today. Let’s change that and...
Giovanni Boldini’s Beautiful BellesOctober 9, 2017
Giovanni Boldini (1842-1931) was a popular society portrait painter in turn-of-the-century France and England. His elegant portraits are still much appreciated today. He is best known for depicting gorgeous and fashionable women – mostly socialites, noble...
Female Painters of the Hudson River School, Part TwoAugust 7, 2017
Earlier this year, I introduced six female artists of the Hudson River School, an important landscape painting movement in nineteenth-century America. There were so many talented ladies to choose from, that I couldn’t possibly feature all...
Henry Ossawa Tanner – African-American Artistic PioneerApril 11, 2017
Henry Ossawa Tanner (1859-1937), the first African-American to become an internationally successful artist, was known for his beautiful religious paintings and scenes of African-American life. He is often compared to Old Masters such as Rembrandt and...
Six Female Artists of the Hudson River SchoolMarch 4, 2017
The Hudson River School, a movement in American landscape painting, was America’s first independent artistic tradition. It was very popular in the middle half of the nineteenth century due to its focus on American scenery and nationalism. Notable Hudson River School artists include...
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art
- How to Show Music in Paintings? Best Depictions of Music in Art
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- How Galileo Galilei Changed the Moon Forever
- All You Need to Know About the Lascaux Cave
- Paintings in the Movie “The Accountant”
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- The Hidden Meanings of Nature in Čiurlionis’ Paintings
- Beyond the National Gallery and Tate: Best London Art Museums