House with Chimaeras: Facts and Legends About an Unusual Art Nouveau Building in KyivDecember 7, 2020
House with Chimaeras (or Horodecki House) is one of the most extraordinary buildings in Ukraine in the Modernist era. Its construction is asymmetrical and concrete animals, birds, and fishes live there something which, despite its gloom, attracts many...
John Ruskin: Painter, Prophet, Pervert. ‘Unto This Last’ by Rebecca LipkinDecember 3, 2020
We review the novel Unto This Last by Rebecca Lipkin and investigate the myth behind the great John Ruskin. Which Ruskin camp do you fall into? Are you fascinated yet repelled by his private life? Or do you...
Mirror Mosaics and Monir Shahroudy FarmanfarmaianOctober 14, 2020
Monir Shahroudy Farmanfarmaian (1922-2019) was a contemporary, Iranian artist who became a living legend while she was still alive. Her oeuvre included multi-disciplines: drawing, painting, monotypes, textiles, collage, and large-scale sculptures. Monir is best known for her mirror...
Art Travels: The Ruins of HampiOctober 13, 2020
Near the banks of the Tungabhadra river in southern India are an ancient group of monuments known as the Hampi. These grand ruins were once part of a much larger, sprawling metropolis known as Vijayanagar or the city...
Puzzles with the Shade of Communism: 10 Great Soviet Mosaics in RussiaOctober 12, 2020
In the conditions of the rigid USSR system of control, impersonality of buildings was practically inevitable. However, there was one way of escape: Soviet mosaics. Here are the 10 great Soviet mosaics in Russia. In 1925, two mosaic...
Tōkyō Thrift – Japonisme and the Japanese BauhausSeptember 30, 2020
The historical narrative of Modernism is overwhelmingly western. However, the history of the movement is, in reality, one of constant diffusion between the East and West; between Europe and Japan. It is an area of study that has...
The Louvre Pyramid and 5 Other Art Museums Designed by Ieoh Ming PeiSeptember 21, 2020
Ioh Ming Pei (貝聿銘) (1917-2019) was a Chinese American modernist architect with international acclaim. Exciting for art history fans, many of Pei’s buildings are art museums. This means you can visit the architecture and the artworks all in one place! The...
- Painting of the Week: Fede Galizia, A Glass Compote with Peaches, Jasmine Flowers, Quinces and a Grasshopper
- 5 Positive Effects of Art on Mental Health
- Art Saved My Life! An Alternative Look at the Mental Health of Vincent van Gogh
- #MeToo and the Medusa Myth
- Meet Asparagus, the King of Vegetables! Not Just for Vegetarians
- The Fabulous Sculpture and Mysterious Life of Edmonia Lewis
- 10 Most Beautiful Artistic Flower Arrangements for Spring
- Michelangelo’s Pieta: An Ode to the Sublime
- Jozef Mehoffer – Strange Garden
- Language of Flowers: Hidden Messages in Flora