Elena Luksch-Makowsky: From St. Petersburg, through Vienna to HamburgOctober 16, 2020
On the 24th of September, the Belvedere Museum in Vienna opened an in-sight exhibition dedicated to Elena Luksch-Makowsky, a Russian painter and sculptor. She was one of the central figures of the Vienna Secession. The exhibition is a...
Art Nouveau’s Unsung Female ArtistsJuly 18, 2020
Art Nouveau, the movement that flourished between 1890 and 1910, developed at the apex of Belle Époque, the period which encouraged modernity and artistic breakthroughs more than any other, as a reaction against the strict academicism in art...
Gustav Klimt And His Love For Trees In PaintingsOctober 9, 2018
Gustav Klimt, the greatest master of Vienna Secession is known for his golden paintings full of fantastic creatures, rich ornaments and beautiful women (who are often naked). But Klimt had also another, less known side called the Waldschrat–someone...
You Give Me Fever: Egon Schiele’s Orange ObsessionAugust 25, 2018
I’m sure that our dedicated readers and Instagram followers have already realized that recently we feature Egon Schiele and the Viennese Leopold Museum quite a lot. Today is going to be no different, since I did too visit...
Seven Haunting Town Paintings by Egon SchieleJuly 2, 2018
Austrian artist Egon Schiele is best known for his shamelessly erotic and frank representations of the human form. But alongside his startlingly revealing portraits and raw nude studies lie haunting journeys into fragile existence via town paintings and landscapes. His expressive, vulnerable...
Why is Klimt Famous?March 28, 2018
Gustav Klimt, born in Austria in 1862, is celebrated as one of the most valued artists in the history of art. But, why is Klimt famous? Why exactly do we value his work? And what role did he...
The Great Stanisław Wyspiański And His Many TalentsJanuary 10, 2018
He is considered by many of his compatriots to have been something of a Leonardo da Vinci of the 19th century. Stanisław Wyspiański and his many talents encompassed not only painting and sculpting. He was also a significant,...
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Everything You Must Know About All Michelangelo’s Pietàs
- AI in Art: What Does It Mean?
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- Met Gala: When Art Meets High Fashion on the Beige Carpet (2021 Update!)
- CHEAP: When Art Meets Activism – Interview with the Co-founder Sara Manfredi
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art
- A Unique Artist Encounter: When Ara Güler Met Pablo Picasso
- Peek into the Court: Stunning Qajar Portraits
- Van Gogh Museum Staff Picks