Why is Klimt Famous?March 28, 2018
Gustav Klimt, born in Austria in 1862, is celebrated as one of the most valued artists in the history of art. But, why is Klimt famous? Why exactly do we value his work? And what role did he...
The Great Stanisław Wyspiański And His Many TalentsJanuary 10, 2018
He is considered by many of his compatriots to have been something of a Leonardo da Vinci of the 19th century. Stanisław Wyspiański and his many talents encompassed not only painting and sculpting. He was also a significant,...
Best Party Posters of 19th CenturyDecember 31, 2017
Are you ready for the crazy party tonight? Although lithography was invented in 1798, it was at first too slow and expensive for poster production. Most posters were wood or metal engravings with little color or design. This...
Gustav Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer IJuly 2, 2017
This portrait also known as Lady in Gold is one of two formal portraits that Gustav Klimt made of Adele Bloch-Bauer, an important patron of the artist. Adele was the wife of a wealthy industrialist in Vienna where...
Painting Human Desire For Happiness – Klimt’s Beethoven FriezeJune 6, 2017
When we think of Gustav Klimt we see beautiful women portraits, sensual and dangerous compositions, gold and decorative motifs. But if you have ever been to the famous building of Vienna Secession building (which is now a gallery of...
Gustav Klimt And Emilie Flöge – The Everlasting FriendshipMarch 25, 2017
Gustav Klimt and Emilie Flöge were inseparable for years. Although it was never proven that there was something romantic between the two of them the story of their relationship (friendship only?) lasted for 27 years, until Klimt’s death. Klimt...
Decadent Masterpieces Reconstructed In PhotographsMarch 14, 2017
Two artists – Tania Brassesco and Lazlo Passi Norberto began their artistic collaboration in 2009 with the project “The Essence of Decadence”. The photographs they created staged the classic decadent masterpieces, created in world of the turn of...
- The Black And White World Of Felix Vallotton’s Prints
- Kandinsky’s World of Russian Fairy Tales
- Autumn Moon In Japanese Woodblock Prints
- The Hudson River School: Celebrating Nature, American-Style
- When Romanticism Meets Eruptions: Volcanoes in Paintings
- The Best of Leda And A Swan Paintings
- Painting of the Week: Giotto, Ognissanti Madonna
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Open to Influences – Arthur Hacker and his Mary with Many Qualities