Stories By Barry Russell
Hail Luo Ping! 18th Century Visionary Painter And PoetJuly 25, 2018
Luo Ping, Freud’s Godfather, proclaims, ‘kill or be killed’ … but of course Luo Ping’s subtler than this, he only suggests what’s in his ‘unconscious’ mind. Freud uncovered our powerful unconscious instincts about: life and death;...
Garlands of Greatness for the Astonishing 20th Century Chinese Artist Zhang DaqianJune 20, 2018
Zhang Daqian is considered the greatest Chinese artist in the last 500 years. If this is true, then what in fact makes Zhang Daqian so important? This short introduction can only sketch a brief outline of...
Qi Baishi, China’s Master of the Ordinary in an Extraordinary WayMay 26, 2018
Qi Baishi, is probably the most unlikely person to become one of the highest valued artists in the world, right next to Andy Warhol and Picasso, but he is. It’s been sixty-one years since his death...
Let’s Sing Praises to Song Dynasty Genius Artist Ma YuanApril 18, 2018
There’s more to the paintings of Ma Yuan than meets the eye. Ma Yuan, (1160-1225) was a Southern Song Dynasty, Chinese painter from an illustrious family of academy artists. He lived during a cultural zenith when...
Meet Kun Can – Chinese Artist, One Of The “Four Great Monk Painters”March 29, 2018
A Chinese painter and Buddhist monk who lived 1612-1674, Kun Can was known as one of the ‘Four Great Monk Painters’ of the early Qing Dynasty. As a youth Kun Can studied the classics and prepared...
- Coffee, Tea, Beer… Drinks in Art for All Tastes!
- 10 Best Portraits Of Édouard Manet
- The Orientalism of Eugène Delacroix – Beware of the Colors!
- Here Comes the Sun… Sunrises for Hope in Art
- Lesbian Love and Sex in Art History
- Ardhanarishvara – Androgynous Portrayal of Shiva and Parvati
- Artists’ Beloved Travel Destinations as Seen Through Their Art
- Pink Unicorns, Cowboys and Candy Clouds: Welcome to Will Cotton’s Own Wild West
- Cute Babies in Art: From Rubens to Cassatt
- A Capri Romance: John Singer Sargent and Rosina Fererra