Protest at Andy Warhol From A to B and Back Again—with SageDecember 15, 2018
An innocent visit to the Whitney Museum of American Art in the West Village of New York City on Sunday, December 9, turned into something more. The smell of burning sage was powerfully oppressive. The New York City...
The Majestic Paintings of Eugène Delacroix at the Metropolitan Museum of ArtNovember 12, 2018
The rooms were dimly lit and majestic, and the paintings of Eugène Delacroix were larger than life. The Metropolitan Museum presented these paintings in this environment, on the heels of its exhibition of Delacroix’s drawings. That exhibition is...
Chagall’s Artistic Battle with Malevich and the Forces of SuprematismOctober 19, 2018
Marc Chagall and Kazimir Malevich have much in common. Both were artists. Both were deeply affected by the Russian Revolution. Almost everything is over almost before it begins. We long for consistency, a foundation of belief, and a...
The Charles White Retrospective — Only the BeginningOctober 11, 2018
Charles White was a prolific artist. The retrospective exhibition in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, which opened on October 7 and will be on display until January 2019, not only demonstrates this; it also...
The Renoir Restitution — A Moving Experience in the Museum of Jewish HeritageSeptember 26, 2018
Renoir painted Deux femmes dans un jardin / Two Women in a Garden in 1919, the last year of his life. By this time, the artist’s vision had been failing him. And his arthritis had made it difficult for...
Giacometti’s ‘Final Portrait’September 19, 2018
The movie ‘Final Portrait’ is a faithful rendition of the book by James Lord, ‘A Giacometti Portrait.’ The book was published in 1965, a year after Lord had posed for Alberto Giacometti in the artist’s studio. The portrait...
The Colorful Vision Of Bodys Isek KingelezSeptember 5, 2018
The color was overwhelming. I was on the third floor of the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, visiting an exhibit called ‘Bodys Isek Kingelez: City of Dreams.’ Kingelez was a sculptor of architecture who lived...
- The Summer Feels So Far Away! – Ten Beaches in Art
- Gustav Klimt’s Lost and Found Viennese Beauty – Lady with Fan
- Everything You Must Know About All Michelangelo’s Pietàs
- AI in Art: What Does It Mean?
- Alphonse Mucha: Art Nouveau Visionary at North Carolina Museum of Art
- Met Gala: When Art Meets High Fashion on the Beige Carpet (2021 Update!)
- CHEAP: When Art Meets Activism – Interview with the Co-founder Sara Manfredi
- A Unique Artist Encounter: When Ara Güler Met Pablo Picasso
- Peek into the Court: Stunning Qajar Portraits
- Van Gogh Museum Staff Picks