Stories By Anastasia Tsaleza
Art Nouveau’s Unsung Female ArtistsJuly 18, 2020
Art Nouveau, the movement that flourished between 1890 and 1910, developed at the apex of Belle Époque, the period which encouraged modernity and artistic breakthroughs more than any other, as a reaction against the strict academicism...
Max Ernst and Birds: A Relationship Explained Through PaintingsJuly 2, 2020
Max Ernst (1891–1976) was a prolific German avant-garde artist. He was a pioneer in the early 20th century movements of Dada and Surrealism and developed a number of inventive artistic techniques. Ernst had the ability to...
Pre-Raphaelite Sisters: Five Female Painters to KnowJune 18, 2020
The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, an all-male artistic fraction active during the second half of the 19th century, has become synonymous today with sensuous, highly stylized depictions of ethereally beautiful, perpetually expressionless women. Pre-Raphaelite Sisters, the exhibition of...
Five Women Artists Whose Works Were Misattributed to MenMay 26, 2020
“Why have there been no great female artists?” continues to be a question that pops up all too often. The response can be succinctly summarized like this: female artists have existed for centuries, but we just...
Augusta Savage: The Woman Who Defined 20th Century SculptureApril 24, 2020
Harlem Renaissance – or, as its very pioneers called it, the New Negro Movement – familiarized the public with names now mainstream in the collective consciousness, like Langston Hughes and Zora Neale Hurston. Luminaries such as...
Art State of Mind
7 Entertaining Art History Podcasts to Listen toApril 2, 2020
As we all scrabble to deal with the consequences of a pandemic, the least we can do is stay at home. And while social distancing, self-isolating and quarantining can be lonely and difficult times, with podcasts...
The Timeless Prints of William Morris & the Arts and Crafts MovementMarch 31, 2020
If you are stuck at home these days, you are probably looking for ways to spruce up your home. By extension, that means you are in dire need of some interior design inspiration. Now, more than...
5 Modern Women Artists to KnowMarch 14, 2020
When we think of modern women artists, certain names immediately come to mind. For instance, anyone can name Frida Kahlo, and the more well-read will even mention names like Leonora Carrington or Hilma af Klint. However,...
- How Art Saved His Life: Story of Horace Pippin
- Edgar Degas and New Orleans’ Paintings
- 5 Impressionist Gossips Which Will Make You Feel They Staged a Soap Opera
- The Pornographic World of Egon Schiele’s Nudes (18+)
- 15 Things You May Not Know About The Night Watch by Rembrandt
- Ancient Bikini Girls from the Roman Mosaics
- Perseus and the Head of Medusa – A Very Florentine Story
- Clark Art Institute Highlights
- The Lost Portrait of Henry VIII: Art in Service of Power
- Art History 101: Self-Portraits You Should Know
- Mirror Mosaics and Monir Shahroudy Farmanfarmaian
- Roll up, Roll up, for the Greatest Show on Earth! Jeanne Mount and Her Circus Mosaics
- Painting of the Week: Rachel Ruysch, Vase with Flowers
- Elena Luksch-Makowsky: From St. Petersburg, through Vienna to Hamburg
- The Forgotten Couturier Elsa Schiaparelli: Surrealism, Art and Revolutionary Fashion