Stories By Guest Profile
Black Is Beautiful: Kwame Brathwaite at the Skirball CenterJune 15, 2019
Let’s play a game: pick up any magazine from a U.S. newsstand and count how many people of color are featured. Now try playing with a magazine from the 1950’s. Depending on which magazine you chose,...
Gentle Giant in the River. Medieval Representations of Saint ChristopherMay 21, 2019
In 1904, an extensive report made for the British Archaeological Association revealed that in England there were more wall paintings of Saint Christopher than of any other saint. However, this gentle giant of a man was...
A House of Their Own: The Red Rose GirlsMay 18, 2019
In an old house in Philadelphia at the turn of the twentieth century, four women made their home and their art together. Three decades before Virginia Woolf’s seminal essay A Room of One’s Own was published,...
Discovering Camelot: Arthurian Art in PolandApril 12, 2019
1887 saw a significant discovery in the field of medieval art, though at the time nobody, not even the discoverer himself, was aware of the real value of his find. The discoverer was one Wilhelm Klose,...
- Evoking The Genius Of Brancusi At The Museum Of Modern Art In New York
- 10 Most Scandalous Nudes in Art (NSFW)
- Lee Krasner and the Art of Starting Over
- Six Ancient Greek Sculptures Everyone Should Know
- Tarsila do Amaral: Joy Is the Decisive Test
- It’s Not Always What It Seems: The Fabulous Inventions of Panamarenko
- Best Bums in Art History
- 4 Artists Who Suffered Mental Illness (And How It Affected Their Art)
- Painting of the Week: Masaccio, The Tribute Money
- Greek Mythological Creatures That Combine Female Beauty And Beastly Ugliness