Search results for "Hunters in the Snow"
Pieter Bruegel: Hunters in the Snow. Hidden Stories and MeaningsSeptember 18, 2018
In the ‘Bruegel Room’ in Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna, twelve paintings hang in the space, covering the final ten year period of the life of Pieter Bruegel the Elder. One painting, in particular, takes us on a journey across the expanses of...
Pieter Bruegel the Elder, The Hunters in the Snow in MoviesDecember 30, 2016
The Hunters in the Snow by Pieter Bruegel the Elder are in the medieval and early Renaissance tradition of the Labours of the Months: depictions of various rural activities and work understood by a spectator in Breugel’s time as representing the different...
Christmas Cards from HellDecember 24, 2019
As the postman brings you cheery season’s greetings from your nearest and dearest, let me guess what the images are on the front of your Christmas cards. Chubby robins? Jolly Santas? Snowy picturesque villages? And of course, the obligatory Nativities. But this...
Painting of the Week
Pieter Bruegel the Elder, The HarvestersJune 12, 2017
This panel is part of a series showing the seasons or times of the year, commissioned from Bruegel by the Antwerp merchant Niclaes Jongelinck. The series included six works, five of which survive. The other four are: “The Gloomy Day,” “Hunters in...
Djanira da Motta e Silva: Gentle Documentalist of Brazilian LifeSeptember 4, 2019
Djanira da Motta e Silva (1914-1979) was born in a very humble family, in Avare, San Paulo state in Brazil. She started to paint in her twenties when she was hospitalized due to tuberculosis. Before becoming an artist, she worked at a...
- Edgar Degas and His Most Beautiful Ballerinas
- Fifty Shades of Dr. Pozzi
- HERE: Black in Rembrandt’s Time. Rembrandthuis Decolonizes
- Botero and His Characteristic Chubby Style: Boterism
- Autumn Moon in Japanese Woodblock Prints
- Where Is Van Gogh’s Biggest Art Collection Outside of Amsterdam? In the Kröller-Müller Museum!
- The Lifelike Death Fayum Portraits of Roman Egypt
- Allegories of Autumn – A Top Ten of Sensational Symbolic Artworks
- Painting of the Week: Firs Zhuravlev, A Fashionista Wife
- Famous Autumn Paintings Created by Famous Artists
- Traversing the Unseen: Interview with Multi-Media Artist Sara Osebold
- Frida Kahlo And The Symbolism In Her Art
- The Forgotten Couturier Elsa Schiaparelli: Surrealism, Art and Revolutionary Fashion
- Kyra Nijinsky: Portrait of a Dancer
- “They Are Black Because I’m Not White” Portraits By Lynette Yiadom-Boakye