Halloween in Hell: Dante and VirgilOctober 31, 2018
Halloween night is this time of year when we go from light to darkness, where we can see and experience demons. For this special occasion, I want to treat you to a work that brings all of the...
Double Double Toil and Trouble: Witches in Art and Modern MediaOctober 30, 2018
Tis the season….no, not of Christmas. Halloween. The time for Fall festivals, hayrides, corn mazes, and pumpkin patches. Grotesque goblins, creepy ghosts, and blood-sucking vampires; It most certainly is a spooktacular time of year. One of my favorite...
Art Only Exists Because Death Exists. Skulls in ArtOctober 29, 2018
Dia de los Meurtos is about to be celebrated across Mexico. A far cry from the western commercial horror-fest of Halloween, it is a glorious celebration of life and a time to remember and honour the dead, with...
I love you, Pumpkin!October 27, 2018
It is this time of the year where colour orange rules the world (of course when it’s not the grey skies and rain). Everything turns various shades of orange, leaves, grass and most importantly of all – the...
Fighting Skeletons of James EnsorOctober 26, 2018
We can’t let Halloween pass by without mention of the late Victorian avante-garde painter James Ensor. Often likened to Munch is his ability to convey the miseries of human experience, while often macabre his paintings are also colourfully...
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know About Primavera by Botticelli
- Coffee, Tea, Beer… Drinks in Art for All Tastes!
- Here Comes the Sun… Sunrises for Hope in Art
- Ardhanarishvara – Androgynous Portrayal of Shiva and Parvati
- Lesbian Love and Sex in Art History
- The Dystopian Surrealism of Zdzislaw Beksinski
- 10 Cocktails Inspired by Art for Artsy Drinking
- Artists’ Beloved Travel Destinations as Seen Through Their Art
- Great Artists’ Dachshund Muses
- A Capri Romance: John Singer Sargent and Rosina Fererra