Spanish Bodegones of the 17th CenturyJune 13, 2020
Looking at a painting and getting hungry? It might be a bodegón! Here we define the genre of Spanish bodegones in the context of 17th century European painting and acknowledge its ties to Italian and Dutch artistic schools....
10 Cocktails Inspired by Art for Artsy DrinkingJune 12, 2020
Most of us have now plenty of time to take some “me time” and enjoy a long bubble bath, read a good book, work out, or perhaps just contemplate the works of our favorite artists. However, if the...
Meet Asparagus, the King of Vegetables! Not Just for VegetariansJune 11, 2020
The season for asparagus is very short as it starts around the 23rd of April (St George’s Day) and lasts only until June. Its special qualities and delicate flavor have rendered it a hero of vegetables, loved by...
Cooking in Pictures—The Food of Art and the Art of FoodJune 10, 2020
Long before Julia Child published Mastering the Art of French Cooking, artists the world over had already made the connection between food and art. But how to approach cooking? Is cooking a science—a precise series of mechanical steps...
Genres Explained: Still Life in PaintingJune 8, 2020
In this article we explore the history of Still Life through a selection of ten paintings corresponding to two key moments: the 17th century in the Netherlands, and the 19th century in France. Baroque Dutch and Flemish artists...
Hot Chocolate Paintings for a Cozy EveningDecember 26, 2019
Although December has been extremely warm this year I still crave a good old hot chocolate and a cozy evening under the blankets. The Gift for Strangers Chocolate means ‘Food of the Gods’ and although all social classes...
The Gift of Pomona – Pears in ArtNovember 11, 2019
Since ancient times the pear tree has been honoured as a sacred tree symbolising good health, happiness and prosperity. At this time of the year, farmers and growers are storing their precious harvest, laying down fruits to last...
- Edgar Degas and New Orleans’ Paintings
- 5 Impressionist Gossips Which Will Make You Feel They Staged a Soap Opera
- 10 of the Most Famous Female Artist Self-Portraits
- The Pornographic World of Egon Schiele’s Nudes (18+)
- 15 Things You May Not Know About The Night Watch by Rembrandt
- How Art Saved His Life: Story of Horace Pippin
- Two Men, Police Uniforms, and Some Duct Tape: The Biggest Art Heist in History After 30 Years of Active Investigations
- Perseus and the Head of Medusa – A Very Florentine Story
- Kiyohara Yukinobu: Sublime Female Painter of the Kano School
- Vermeer’s Desperate Housewives