Painting of the Week: Pieter de Ring, Still Life with a Golden GobletFebruary 14, 2021
Why is food such a popular image for art and culture? For millennia it has been a source of inspiration from ancient Roman mosaics through Dutch Baroque paintings to modern foodie photographs. It is difficult to find a...
The Scent of Orange in the Wintery Air: Portraits with OrangesJanuary 30, 2021
What does winter smell to you like? For me, it’s the scent of cinnamon-spiced gingerbread, mulled wine, and of course mandarins. My grandma used to make Christmas decorations by spiking oranges with cloves, turning them into pomander balls....
Do You “Pronkstill”Even? Social Media of the Dutch Golden AgeOctober 24, 2020
Carefully arranged plates of food surrounded by carefully planned out backgrounds, images with hidden meanings, a snapshot of wealth… What may sound like an average display of life through our modern-day social media accounts is actually a well-curated...
The Best Autumn Foods in Still-Life PaintingsSeptember 26, 2020
I love everything about autumn – the cool, crisp air, the warm sweaters, the sense that the holiday season will soon arrive. But most of all, I love autumn food! In my humble opinion, no time of year...
A Perfect Meal for A Summer Day Inspired by ArtJune 13, 2020
Fresh produce, small green gardens, beds of herbs, dappled sunlight playing through trees and onto picnic spreads, fruit, and vegetables are all ingredients for the perfect meal to savor on a summer day. These elements were a source...
Spanish Bodegones of the 17th CenturyJune 13, 2020
Looking at a painting and getting hungry? It might be a bodegón! Here we define the genre of Spanish bodegones in the context of 17th century European painting and acknowledge its ties to Italian and Dutch artistic schools....
10 Cocktails Inspired by Art for Artsy DrinkingJune 12, 2020
Most of us have now plenty of time to take some “me time” and enjoy a long bubble bath, read a good book, work out, or perhaps just contemplate the works of our favorite artists. However, if the...
- 10 Times When Egon Schiele Mastered Hip Hop Hand Gestures
- How to Show Music in Paintings? Best Depictions of Music in Art
- 10 Female Artists Forgotten By Art History
- Painting of the Week: Claude Raguet Hirst, A Gentleman’s Table
- Mary Cassatt: The Story of the American Impressionist
- 10 Great Women Sculptors You Should Know
- The Masterpiece of the Week: Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright
- 10 of the Most Famous Female Artist Self-Portraits
- The Most Important Day! Wedding Inspiration in Art
- True Tips for a Happier Life from the Miniatures of Reza Abbasi