Painting of the Week: Henri Rousseau, The Football PlayersJuly 26, 2020
Welcome to the bizarre world of Henri Rousseau (1844-1910), the quintessential naïve artist, and meet his oneiric, striped football players. Four almost identical men are having a good time, probably in a park in Paris. They are wearing...
Timeless Beauty: Ancient Greek Athletes in ArtJuly 25, 2020
The idea of timeless beauty is fascinating. Also, it’s a great concern for lovers of art history. Conceptions of beauty in Western art history have many roots in the ancient Greek athlete. This is partly due to the...
Football in Art and Art in FootballJuly 24, 2020
Art History and Football are not commonly linked together. However football is a beloved and reflective part of culture. Firstly, artists choose to contemplate football to show their love for the beautiful game. Secondly, the art of football...
Time For Golf! Golf PaintingsJuly 23, 2020
I used to live in St. Andrews, a small town in Scotland which is a legendary cradle of golf in the UK. Once, when I was strolling on a golf course, I wondered whether there were any golf...
Modern Sports Played in Ancient ChinaJuly 22, 2020
The history of Chinese sports can be traced back over thousands of years, revealing many achievements, innovations, and surprises. We think about some of the sports as modern, however, they were played in ancient China. For example, the...
Art History Reveals: Women in SportJuly 20, 2020
With sport considered as a male activity throughout history, it is no surprise that the history of art follows this same ideology. However, a rare few paintings reveal a reversal of these roles and show women participating. Manet’s...
Lockdown Artsy Entertainment ToolkitMarch 21, 2020
Initially the idea of a lock-down and extended opportunity to work from home may look a tiny bit appealing. No more commuting, no more dressing up for the office, if your webcam isn’t too good you can forget...
- Vermeer’s Desperate Housewives
- 10 Most Beautiful Artistic Flower Arrangements for Spring
- Erna Rosenstein. Surrealist in the Country Where Surrealism Didn’t Exist
- What I Found in the Museum Of Bad Art
- The Sacred Cats of Ancient Egypt
- Henry Ossawa Tanner – African-American Artistic Pioneer
- Explore the Unknown World of Klimt’s Landscapes
- The Prime Minister’s Art: Landscapes of Winston Churchill
- Brief Story of Claude Monet’s Garden in Giverny
- Arenig School. Wild Bohemians and Welsh Mountains